AUS: SABMiller, Coca-Cola Amatil open brewery
The new Blutongue brewery
The US$105m Bluetongue brewery has a capacity of 500,000 hectolitres and will brew a combination of domestic beers and those from SABMiller's international portfolio, such as Peroni Nastro Azzurro, Peroni Leggera, Grolsch and Miller Genuine Draft.
"This impressive facility is the first to be built by our joint venture in Australia and we are optimistic that it will enable us to make further progress in this attractive market," said Ari Mervis, the MD of SABMiller Asia.
SABMiller's joint venture with Coca-Cola Amatil, Pacific Beverages, has gained a 10% volume share of Australia's premium beer market in the four years since its formation.
There has been speculation that SABMiller, perhaps via Pacific Beverages, could bid to acquire the Foster's beer business, although some analysts believe the company is more interested in organic growth in Australia.
"The new brewery allows us to provide fresh beer in the popular draft format for consumers here in Australia and will be a watershed for our business," said Pacific Beverages CEO Peter McLoughlin.
The Bluetongue brewery, based just north of Sydney, will also feature a water recycling plant, in-line with SABMiller's strategy to use water more sustainably across its business.
Recycled water will be used for general maintenance of the brewery, including wash down and cleaning, boilers, refrigeration, staff amenities and fire water top-up.
Part three of our annual review of the year brings us Chris Mercer's look at how 2010 has treated the world's brewers....
Click play, below, to view the thoughts of SABMiller's CEO, Graham Mackay, on the brewers performance in the six months to the end of September....
- Why Didn't Diageo Act Sooner on Mallya?
- just The Facts - The Global Wine Industry
- just On Call - Pernod shifts Scotch focus in China
- CCE head shines light on price talks
- Interview: Head brewer at Hall & Woodhouse
- A-B InBev "regrets" Bud Light bottle message
- Diageo teams Johnnie Walker up with Entourage
- Beam Suntory to strip down regional units
- MEPs call for calorie, ingredient facts on alcohol
- Bacardi opens Dewar’s Travel Retail whisky store
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research