AUS: SABMiller, Coca-Cola Amatil acquire Bluetongue in Oz
The unit confirmed today (5 December) that it has bought Bluetongue Brewery in the country for an undisclosed sum, with a view to upping its presence in the Australian premium beer market. Bluetongue's assets have been valued by Pacific at around A$14m (US$12.3m).
"The Australian premium beer market is growing strongly year-on-year," said Ari Mervis, managing director of SABMiller Asia. "Pacific Beverages is well placed to capitalise on this trend and our expertise in premium brand management together with CCA's distribution strength means that we can accelerate the development of the Bluetongue brands and grow our share of the premium beer market in Australia."
Established in 2003, Bluetongue operates from a brewery near Newcastle, New South Wales with an annual capacity of around 50,000 hectolitres. Its beer brands include Bluetongue Premium Lager, Bluetongue Premium Light, Bluetongue Traditional Pilsner, Bluetongue Alcoholic Ginger Beer and Bondi Blonde. In the year to November, Pacific noted, Bluetongue has delivered sales growth of over 70%.
Set up in August last year, Pacific Beverages sells and distributes SABMiller's international premium brands, while also handling the distribution of the Maxxium spirit portfolio.
AmBev, InBev's Latin American operation, had a tough first quarter, hit by higher costs and poor weather in Brazil. Earlier this month, Olly Wehring met with Luiz Fernando Edmond, zone president for L...
At a time when so many companies are feeling the pressures of the economic downturn and cost inflation, it was heartening to see SABMiller report relatively robust full-year results this week....
InBev has confirmed that it is in talks to up its presence in India....
The top ten most visited stories on just-drinks this week:...
InBev is reportedly set to team up with Kool Breweries in India....
It was the big names and the big deals that dominated the just-drinks headlines in this last week. Read on to see which stories attracted the most visitors over the last seven days....
South African brewer SABMiller saw its share index soar 6% following reports that InBev had considered making a bid for it....
Miller Brewing is extending the rollout of the low-cal version of Miller Genuine Draft Light, MGD 64, to a number of new markets in time for the Memorial Day weekend....
- Has Diageo added Beer to its 'Non-Core' List?
- Focus - Diageo's FY Performance by Region
- Diageo " knew United Spirits would be complicated”
- Diageo Q4 & FY - Preview
- It's not all bad for Diageo - Analysis
- NPD: Tomatin Contrast, Cù Bòcan
- Challenges remain as Diageo posts flat FY sales
- Diageo, Heineken end South Africa, Namibia JV
- Bacardi creates Bacardi rum marketing role
- Tesco pulls small carton-size Ribena, Rubicon, Cap
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global cachaca insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research