UK: SABMiller breaks ground on research brewery
SABMiller to open pilot brewery
Building work has begun on SABMiller's centre for brewing research in the UK as part of a GBP25m (US$37.8m) public-private partnership.
Builders broke ground on the University of Nottingham's Bioenergy Centre earlier this week.
The 3,100 square-metre facility will include a centre for brewing technology and innovation that is being funded by SABMiller.
The Peroni Nastro Azzurro brewer will run a complete pilot brewery at the centre. It already sponsors the university's chair of brewing science, professor Katherine Smart.
SABMiller's chief brewer, professor Barry Axcell, said of the project last year: "Pilot breweries have, up until now, been places where new brands are brewed and trialled. What we are creating is a facility that can simulate a whole range of brewing conditions, allowing us to develop expertise, products and procedures that will ensure SABMiller leads the industry in brewing innovation."
As well as the brewing facility, the new complex will house a Food and Biofuel Innovation Centre and one of the six Sustainable Bioenergy Centre research programmes funded by the Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council (BBSRC).
Construction is set to be complete within 12 months.
Part three of our annual review of the year brings us Chris Mercer's look at how 2010 has treated the world's brewers....
Click play, below, to view the thoughts of SABMiller's CEO, Graham Mackay, on the brewers performance in the six months to the end of September....
With the end of the year looming, just-drinks is running a series of 'Top Tens of the Year' in the run-up to Christmas. Here are the ten most read comment pieces on just-drinks in 2010....
With the end of the year looming, just-drinks is running a series of 'Top Tens of the Year' in the run-up to Christmas. Here are the ten most read Hot Topics on just-drinks in 2010....
With the end of the year looming, just-drinks is running a series of 'Top Tens of the Year' in the run-up to Christmas. Here are the ten most read news stories on just-drinks in 2010....
- Aus wine industry pays price for past failures
- What's in store for Super Bowl 50 - Focus
- Six key trends for alcoholic drinks in 2016
- Carlsberg's Q4 & Full Year - Preview
- Ten things to know about spirits in the US
- William Grant & Sons restructures US team
- Diageo completes wine category exit in US
- Diageo's Orphan Barrel The Gifted Horse - NPD
- Beam Suntory targets Kenya with Edrington/FIX
- Diageo's Oban Little Bay single malt Scotch - NPD
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global Whiskey Market 2016-2020
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research