GLOBAL: SABMiller boils up lower energy use
SABMiller cuts energy use
SABMiller has said it has devised a way to lower energy use during boiling at its breweries, as part of the brewer's sustainability drive.
The new technology could reduce energy use during boiling by up to 40%, an SABMiller spokesperson told just-drinks today (6 July).
SABMiller has already installed the new techonology in South Africa and parts of Africa and the firm said that it plans to expand it to several breweries worldwide in the coming year.
The Peroni Nastro Azzurro brewer has pledged to reduce its fossil fuel emissions by 50% per litre of beer by 2020, compared to 2008 levels.
Energy required to boil unfermented 'wort' during brewing can account for 40% of a typical brewery's energy needs.
"Elements of the brewing process have remained largely unchanged for many years," said SABMiller's chief brewer, Barry Axcell.
"However, by applying new scientific techniques we are able to produce the same high quality products our consumers demand using less energy, which is good for us and good for the environment," he said.
Part three of our annual review of the year brings us Chris Mercer's look at how 2010 has treated the world's brewers....
Click play, below, to view the thoughts of SABMiller's CEO, Graham Mackay, on the brewers performance in the six months to the end of September....
With the end of the year looming, just-drinks is running a series of 'Top Tens of the Year' in the run-up to Christmas. Here are the ten most read comment pieces on just-drinks in 2010....
With the end of the year looming, just-drinks is running a series of 'Top Tens of the Year' in the run-up to Christmas. Here are the ten most read Hot Topics on just-drinks in 2010....
With the end of the year looming, just-drinks is running a series of 'Top Tens of the Year' in the run-up to Christmas. Here are the ten most read news stories on just-drinks in 2010....
- AB InBev, SABMiller - Here's what'll happen next
- Is time right for TWE to move for Diageo's wines?
- Is Brown-Forman at the end of the SoCo road?
- Will a sexed-up SABMiller tempt AB InBev?
- Is Brown-Forman doing a Jack Daniel's in Ireland?
- AB InBev makes formal offer for SABMiller
- Diageo secures Xerox Corp CFO as finance head
- Tesco pulls several Carlsberg SKUs in UK
- Diageo makes US$780.5m beer deal with Heineken
- SABMiller formally rejects AB InBev's offer
- The IWSR Duty Free/Travel Retail Summary Report 2015
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research