GLOBAL: SABMiller begins global campaign for Grolsch
The global marketing push will focus on a symbol inspired by the Grolsch logo, known as "the Mark", said SABMiller, which acquired the lager brand in February 2008 for EUR816m (US$1.2bn).
Marketing campaigns will initially be launched in Poland, followed by Russia, a spokesperson for the brewer told just-drinks today (1 October). Financial details were not disclosed.
"Ultimately we expect most markets to implement the global positioning and the campaign, although the specific in country execution may have slight differences and will depend on scheduling with respect to current creative," said the spokesperson.
Commenting on the inspiration behind the campaign, Ronald van Amerongen, international brand director for Grolsch, said: "We wanted to find a way to move Grolsch from a brand with the iconic Swingtop, to a brand which is a global icon in itself."
SABMiller announced in August that it would begin selling Grolsch in 500ml cans and screwcap bottles in Russia, at a cheaper price to the iconic swingtop version, which will continue to be imported to the country.
Since acquiring Netherlands-based Grolsch, SABMiller has talked up the brand's international potential. It currently sells 3m hectolitres worldwide.
"The new campaign will help to deliver this by bringing Grolsch's unique character to life in a charismatic and intriguing way," said van Amerongen.
As part of the global campaign, consumers will be directed to a website, not yet launched, named the-mark.org.
While Budweiser lager will be available in stadiums at this summer's FIFA World Cup, SABMiller has secured a deal with the football body to exclusively supply hundreds of thousands of fans at screenin...
SABMiller is to begin selling Miller Genuine Draft on draught in pubs and bars across Scotland....
- What's so special about Islay anyway? - Comment
- Six key trends for alcoholic drinks in 2016
- What do Bourbon and craft beer have in common?
- Aus wine industry pays price for past failures
- Ten things to know about spirits in the US
- Alcohol industry warning over Kroger plan
- SABMiller hits back in UK corporation tax row
- Diageo's Orphan Barrel The Gifted Horse - NPD
- Suntory bids for Lucozade, Ribena Nigerian network
- American rye whiskey sales leap 600% in five years
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global Whiskey Market 2016-2020
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research