UK: SABMiller and C&C stay mum on buyout rumours
SABMiller and C&C Group have declined to comment over recent acquisition rumours.
Speaking to just-drinks today (13 September) both the UK brewer and the troubled Irish cider company would not be drawn on press speculation suggesting that SABMiller plans to bid for the Magners and Bulmers manufacturer.
The rumours stemmed from a second day of share growth for C&C Group after reports claimed that SABMiller might snap up the company.
A spokesperson for SABMiller told just-drinks: "We shall not comment on this." C&C also remained tight-lipped.
Last month, C&C reported that, for the six months to the end of August, it expects its operating margin to decline and for turnover to be flat compared to last year's results. The weak performance is down to a combination of issues, including hiked-up marketing and manufacturing costs for its Magners cider brand, poor weather in Ireland and the UK and the impact of competition, said the company.
C&C will provide guidance on its expectations for the second half and full year when it announces its interim results on 10 October.
Strong beers may offer brewers significant growth potential but their perception as a cheap way of consuming alcohol puts them directly in the regulatory sights of governments looking to tackle excess...
SABMiller has reported that sales for the its 12 months to the end of March have been at the top end of its expectations....
Cobra Beer plans to set up its own Greenfield brewery in either Andra Pradesh or Maharstra, and is considering a public listing in India this year....
The top ten most visited stories on just-drinks this week:...
SABMiller and Molson Coors have named two executives to join Leo Kiely in heading up their proposed US joint venture....
SABMiller has had its rating downgraded ahead of its final quarter results next month....
SABMiller and Molson Coors have received clearance from the European Commission for their joint venture in the US and Puerto Rico....
SABMiller is looking to consolidate its Indian brewing operations in the coming years....
- Is Brown-Forman at the end of the SoCo road?
- Is Brown-Forman doing a Jack Daniel's in Ireland?
- Is time right for TWE to move for Diageo's wines?
- Will a sexed-up SABMiller tempt AB InBev?
- Making consumers the centre of your business
- AB InBev makes formal offer for SABMiller
- Diageo secures Xerox Corp CFO as finance head
- Tesco pulls several Carlsberg SKUs in UK
- Former Pernod Ricard exec joins Wakefield Wines
- Diageo, Treasury Wine Estates quiet on wine sale
- The IWSR Duty Free/Travel Retail Summary Report 2015
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research