UK: SABMiller aims at Miller Lite resurrection in US
SABMiller's North American unit is targeting a turnaround of its Miller Lite brand in the region.
Speaking at an investor conference in London today (30 May), Tom Long, president and CEO of Miller Brewing, said that the unit will emphasise what he calls Miller Lite's "better beer" platform.
"For us to fight back in 2007, to turn around the results we had from 2006, we've really got to, first and foremost, return Miller Lite to growth," Long said. "It's our flagship brand. Most of our economic value added comes out of that brand.
"We've got to make plain and clear to consumers that they're just a little bit smarter than the average guy, by drinking a better beer. Better because it has more taste, better because of more colour, better because of half the carbs and a third fewer calories than Bud Light, and many of the new, imported light beer substitutes."
The unit is also lining up the introduction of SABMiller's Chinese beer, Snow, into its market to tap into the growing Chinese contingency in the US.
Earlier this month, SABMiller admitted that the North America region had had a difficult year in the 12 months to the end of March. EBITA in the region slid by 17% in the year to US$376m as higher commodity costs, declining Miller Lite volume and price competition in the economy segment hit the bottom line.
SABMiller has given further details about its intended investment in India going forward....
The likelihood of a union between InBev and Anheuser-Busch has become a stronger possibility, following SABMiller's acquisition of Grolsch, according to a drinks analyst....
SABMiller and Molson Coors have been hit with an anti-trust request for its joint venture in the US....
SABMiller has declined to comment on speculation suggesting the brewer is out of the Scottish & Newcastle frame, following its plans to acquire Grolsch....
Grolsch has hailed today's (19 November) move by SABMiller to acquire the Dutch brewer as "ideal"....
China Resources Enterprise has reported a healthy lift in group net profit for its third quarter....
SABMiller has reached a "conditional agreement" with Grolsch to make an offer for the acquisition for the company....
SABMiller has followed yesterday's (15 November) first-half results with details of its latest dividend payment....
- AB InBev, SABMiller - Here's what'll happen next
- Is time right for TWE to move for Diageo's wines?
- Is Brown-Forman at the end of the SoCo road?
- Will a sexed-up SABMiller tempt AB InBev?
- Is Brown-Forman doing a Jack Daniel's in Ireland?
- AB InBev makes formal offer for SABMiller
- Diageo secures Xerox Corp CFO as finance head
- Tesco pulls several Carlsberg SKUs in UK
- Diageo makes US$780.5m beer deal with Heineken
- SABMiller formally rejects AB InBev's offer
- The IWSR Duty Free/Travel Retail Summary Report 2015
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research