INDIA: SABMiller adds to appeal against tax charges
SABMiller is facing tax charges in India for its takeover of Foster's India beer operations in 2006
SABMiller confirmed today (24 August) it has filed a petition at the Bombay High Court over the proposed charges. The changes were introduced in a new Finance Act this year, which allows the government to retrospectively change tax laws.
Concerns about the changes were first raised in April by the Confederation of British Industry.
The appeal is part of the same case dating back to May last year over India's tax authorities' claim for US$42m from SABMiller's acquisition of the licence to produce Foster's lager in India in 2006.
"Our filing has been made primarily on the grounds that the Double Tax Avoidance Treaty between India and Australia affords us protection," a SABMiller spokesperson told just-drinks. "Secondly, that the recent retrospective amendments made to the Finance Act run contrary to principles of fairness enshrined in the Indian constitution."
Environmental sustainability remains one of the most active areas for the global drinks industry. This year, just-drinks returns to the subject with four separate management briefings, one per sector....
In the second part of this management briefing, which looks at environmental sustainability in the brewing sector, Ben Cooper looks at the role played by sourcing ingredients locally....
The fourth and final part of this month's management briefing, which looks at the efforts of the brewing world in the environmental sustainability arena, considers the work of Heineken, Molson Coors a...
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- The dangers of squaring up to your competitor
- The US beer market - A level playing field for all
- How to turn a domestic spirit into a global brand
- Remy Cointreau's Q2 and H1 - preview
- Sidney Frank CEO to head Clooney's import co
- Diageo sells off United Spirits' Bouvet Ladubay
- Captain Morgan distillation trial queried by USVI
- Irish whiskey brands could fail without bulk
- Sazerac sues Brown-Forman over Tennessee Fire
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts