INDIA: SABMiller adds to appeal against tax charges
SABMiller is facing tax charges in India for its takeover of Foster's India beer operations in 2006
SABMiller confirmed today (24 August) it has filed a petition at the Bombay High Court over the proposed charges. The changes were introduced in a new Finance Act this year, which allows the government to retrospectively change tax laws.
Concerns about the changes were first raised in April by the Confederation of British Industry.
The appeal is part of the same case dating back to May last year over India's tax authorities' claim for US$42m from SABMiller's acquisition of the licence to produce Foster's lager in India in 2006.
"Our filing has been made primarily on the grounds that the Double Tax Avoidance Treaty between India and Australia affords us protection," a SABMiller spokesperson told just-drinks. "Secondly, that the recent retrospective amendments made to the Finance Act run contrary to principles of fairness enshrined in the Indian constitution."
Environmental sustainability remains one of the most active areas for the global drinks industry. This year, just-drinks returns to the subject with four separate management briefings, one per sector....
In the second part of this management briefing, which looks at environmental sustainability in the brewing sector, Ben Cooper looks at the role played by sourcing ingredients locally....
The fourth and final part of this month's management briefing, which looks at the efforts of the brewing world in the environmental sustainability arena, considers the work of Heineken, Molson Coors a...
- Heineken goes from strength to strength - Analysis
- Key trends for the alcohol category in 2017
- Treasury Wine Estates CEO - Interview Pt II
- Heineken 2012-2016 - results data
- Heineken FY 2016 by region - results data
- Non-alcoholic Heineken set to hit Europe - CEO
- Rum braced for falling volumes in years ahead
- Beam Suntory revamps Bowmore whisky packaging
- Bacardi lines up Canadian bottling plant closure
- Asahi Group lifts 2016 sales, profits
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends