INDIA: SABMiller adds to appeal against tax charges
SABMiller is facing tax charges in India for its takeover of Foster's India beer operations in 2006
SABMiller confirmed today (24 August) it has filed a petition at the Bombay High Court over the proposed charges. The changes were introduced in a new Finance Act this year, which allows the government to retrospectively change tax laws.
Concerns about the changes were first raised in April by the Confederation of British Industry.
The appeal is part of the same case dating back to May last year over India's tax authorities' claim for US$42m from SABMiller's acquisition of the licence to produce Foster's lager in India in 2006.
"Our filing has been made primarily on the grounds that the Double Tax Avoidance Treaty between India and Australia affords us protection," a SABMiller spokesperson told just-drinks. "Secondly, that the recent retrospective amendments made to the Finance Act run contrary to principles of fairness enshrined in the Indian constitution."
Environmental sustainability remains one of the most active areas for the global drinks industry. This year, just-drinks returns to the subject with four separate management briefings, one per sector....
A complete volume analysis of the domestic and international activities of the world’s leading beer companies. The 2012 Global Brewer Analyser Report is an indispensable reference guide to the world...
In the second part of this management briefing, which looks at environmental sustainability in the brewing sector, Ben Cooper looks at the role played by sourcing ingredients locally....
The fourth and final part of this month's management briefing, which looks at the efforts of the brewing world in the environmental sustainability arena, considers the work of Heineken, Molson Coors a...
- No Home Comfort for TWE as Bids Collapse
- Treasury Wine Estates: Here I Go Again On My Own
- Bacardi Seeks Own History at Bombay Sapphire Home
- Will low-alcohol wines wither on the vine?
- Private-equity bids "over" - TWE head
- Diageo's Johnnie Walker hit by Travel Retail slump
- Carlsberg suspends production at Russian brewery
- Treasury Wine Estates pulls plug on takeover talks
- Quintessential Brands changes MD at Essential unit
- Mallya stays chairman at Diageo's United Spirits