SOUTH AFRICA: SAB launches light beer
SAB marketing director, Peter McLoughlin said: “We expect Sterling Light Lager to capture market share and to grow the South African light beer category. Worldwide, light beer is growing in popularity, but our research also shows that consumers are not prepared to compromise on taste. The challenge for us was to create a full tasting premium lager, which is low in both alcohol and kilojoules, and we believe we have achieved this in Sterling Light.”
Sterling Light will initially be available in South Africa only, but may be rolled out to other South African Breweries export markets at a later stage.
Because of its positioning as a premium offering, it will not compete directly with Castle Lager, SAB#;s flagship brand in South Africa, the company said.
Sterling Light will be available in four-packs, which is a packaging innovation for the South African market.
The South African Breweries Ltd, which was founded in Johannesburg in 1895, has 98 per cent share of the South African beer market. In 2000, it sold 23.9 million hectolitres of beer in South Africa, and generated a pre-tax profit of US$343 million from a turnover of US$1,365 billion.
The global roll-out of InBev's Brazilian beer, Brahma, adds a third premium brand to the global brewer's international portfolio but some observers have suggested it's an unnecessary step which threat...
Brasserie Kronenbourg has clarified earlier reports about its entry into the low alcohol beer sector in France....
Costs relating to alcohol abuse in Sweden are on the rise, according to research out this week....
Police in eastern Kenya have said that at least 24 people died on Saturday after drinking illegally produced alcohol....
According to a recently published study, people who drink alcohol may have a lower risk of developing a type of cancer which affects the lymphatic system known as non-Hodgkin lymphoma (NHL)....
Diageo is calling for facts labels to be placed on alcohol beverages in the US....
Kenyan authorities are to ban beer and spirits advertising from television and billboards in the country, according to a local report late last week....
Post-menopausal women who consume even moderate amounts of alcohol may face an increased risk of breast cancer, according to a comprehensive US study....
- Brown-Forman's march on premium whisk(e)y -Comment
- Will US consolidation leave craft alcohol exposed?
- Are consumers getting tired of consuming?
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- Should Boston Beer Co put up the For Sale sign?
- Brown-Forman to buy BenRiach Distillery Co
- AB InBev snaps up Italy's Birra del Borgo
- Smirnoff Ice Electric flavours - NPD
- Bacardi rolls out new global Martini ad - video
- Brown-Forman appoints new GTR marketing head
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Emerging Drinks Industry Trends