INDIA: SAB invests $10m in India beer venture
South African Breweries (SAB), three months after it was granted an approval to set up a holding company in India, is to invest a total of $10m in two Indian breweries, according to local Indian papers.SAB has already bought a sizeable equity in Delhi-based Narang Breweries for $1.8m. It now has plans to acquire a 65% stake in Mumbai-based Associated Breweries for over Rs360m ($8m).SAB is reported to be aiming to produce 1m hectolitres in India within seven years. Its growth strategy in the country will centre on acquiring poorly performing brewing facilities across the country and upgrading them into world class manufacturing outfits, according to Indian sources. This will be done with a view to making India a production base from which to sell into neighbouring Asian markets, the sources said.The company first applied permission to form a joint venture in India with Narang in February 1999. However, clearance was held up for almost a year because of the lack of a clear cut policy for admitting foreign investments into the liquor sector.The proposal was cleared only when SAB reworked it to form a holding company which would subsequently obtain clearance to make downstream investments.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 15 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- Are we about to see a no-alcohol Heineken?
- American whiskey does a vodka - Analysis
- Battle continues for Pernod Ricard in US and China
- A-B InBev's Global Presence - just The Facts
- Concha y Toro's H1 performance - Focus
- Heineken integrates cider and beer
- The Glenlivet leapfrogs Glenfiddich
- “New normal” sees Pernod target premium in China
- Diageo strengthens Charmer Sunbelt distribution
- Minimum unit pricing fails to get European backing
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Pernod Ricard SA - Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investment Report
- Brown-Forman Corporation (BFB) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review