INDIA: SAB invests $10m in India beer venture
South African Breweries (SAB), three months after it was granted an approval to set up a holding company in India, is to invest a total of $10m in two Indian breweries, according to local Indian papers.SAB has already bought a sizeable equity in Delhi-based Narang Breweries for $1.8m. It now has plans to acquire a 65% stake in Mumbai-based Associated Breweries for over Rs360m ($8m).SAB is reported to be aiming to produce 1m hectolitres in India within seven years. Its growth strategy in the country will centre on acquiring poorly performing brewing facilities across the country and upgrading them into world class manufacturing outfits, according to Indian sources. This will be done with a view to making India a production base from which to sell into neighbouring Asian markets, the sources said.The company first applied permission to form a joint venture in India with Narang in February 1999. However, clearance was held up for almost a year because of the lack of a clear cut policy for admitting foreign investments into the liquor sector.The proposal was cleared only when SAB reworked it to form a holding company which would subsequently obtain clearance to make downstream investments.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- Remy, dead cats and the power of China's new year
- just the Facts - Top 20 US Beers by Value, Volume
- Will Lucas Bols' IPO Bring Much-Needed Stability?
- Price drops would damage our DNA - Remy Cointreau
- Focus - Remy Cointreau's YTD Performance by Brand
- Maxxium UK head to depart for Edrington role
- Diageo speaks out over supplier contract changes
- Diageo inks UK distribution deals
- Diageo's United Spirits stays in red in YTD
- Brown-Forman appoints Jack Daniel's president
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review