US: SAB introduces new quart bottles
South African Breweries (SAB) has announced plans to replace its existing 750ml 'quart' bottle with a returnable model.
The new bottle, unveiled yesterday (16 April), will be used for its four main brands: Castle Lager, Carling Black Label, Hansa Pilsener and Castle Milk Stout.
SAB, the South African arm of SABMiller, will begin to phase in the new bottle across South Africa, beginning with Cape Town in May and ending with Polokwane in September 2008. Both types of bottle will be in trade for a three-week crossover period in each region.
A spokesperson from SAB said: "While the bottles may be changing, their contents and their price and volume will remain exactly the same as before. We decided to make this investment based on a number of key global trends and consumer-demand developments; the new shape complies with new label technology that is being introduced, including a wraparound neck label. Importantly, the new bottle is more durable than the present one, which has a positive environmental impact. All in all, the new shape is more elegant and more in keeping with modern brewing trends."
There are currently 90,000 tons of the old glass bottles in circulation. Once these have been returned, they will be crushed and recycled.
The earlier-than-expected departure of Tony Froggatt as CEO of brewing force S&N has set the City rumour-mill churning. The brewer insists the move is a planned succession but, Chris Brook-Carter writ...
News this week that SABMiller and Molson Coors are to team up in the US beer market may have caught the industry by surprise, but the logic is compelling. As Olly Wehring reports, not only can the dea...
SABMiller has had its share coverage lowered, with potential future problems in its new JV cited as the reason....
SABMiller and Molson Coors have confirmed plans to combine their US and Puerto Rico operations....
Molson Coors has appointed a replacement CEO for its UK unit....
Talk of consolidation within the world's brewing industry moved up a gear today (9 October), with reports that SABMiller is in talks with Molson Coors....
SABMiller has appointed Stephan-Maria Weber as president of its Romanian unit, Ursus Breweries....
SABMiller's Czech brewing unit Plzensky Prazdroj has plans to double its exports over the next five years....
- Will Tequila Learn from Scotch Whisky's Mistakes?
- Comment - How to Target Cognac's Mok Generation?
- Is Marketing Twisting the Meanings of Words?
- Sustainability - Walking the Walk on Water
- The Beer Engine that is Africa
- Whyte & Mackay takes on Flor de Caña in UK
- SPI Group US, Canada sales chief departs
- Belvedere proposes name change
- Brown-Forman eyes family ties with board additions
- Castel acquires stake in Belvedere
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Africa: The Final Frontier for Beer