SOUTH AFRICA: SAB calms talk of beer shortage
South African Breweries has answered recent reports that it may run out of beer in parts of the country despite an increase in demand.
Speaking to just-drinks today (26 September) SAB Communications Manager Janine van Stolk said: "While supplies of certain of its pack sizes and types are under pressure, there is no critical shortage of beer. The challenge is providing customers with their choices of preferred brands and packs when they need them."
SAB, which is owned by SABMiller, noted that stock levels have been depleted due to the importation of glass reducing production flexibility. The company said that it imports 80,000 tonnes of glass to augment glass supplies, representing about 20% of SAB's glass requirements.
Van Stolk added: "We have also seen a continued upward shift in demand for our brands this year. In particular, our new Hansa Marzen Gold has performed ahead of expectations, although we have been experiencing strong demand trends with our other brands as well."
SAB Ltd reported a 4% year on year increase for the three months to the end of June in its recent trading update.
SABMiller has appointed an international brand director for its Grolsch beer brand....
SABMiller has refuted claims that it is supporting a political campaign in Zimbabwe....
Scottish & Newcastle has been given full clearance to proceed with the construction of its first brewery in Vietnam, according to local reports....
Anheuser-Busch has refused to be drawn on claims that it is the latest brewer to consider scuppering Carlsberg and Heineken's move for Scottish & Newcastle....
Carlsberg and Heineken have ended a nerve-wracked week by noting the issuance of the scheme document for their acquisition of Scottish & Newcastle....
The top ten most visited stories on just-drinks this week:...
SABMiller has closed its public offer for shares in Grolsch, with the Dutch brewer set to delist next month....
SABMiller has been moved to issue a statement following speculation that it may tender a counterbid for Scottish & Newcastle....
- Comment - Diageo Steps Up Defence of Haig Club
- Remy, dead cats and the power of China's new year
- just the Facts - Top 20 US Beers by Value, Volume
- Will Lucas Bols' IPO Bring Much-Needed Stability?
- Will the Selfie Prove the Tonic for Beauty Drinks?
- Diageo speaks out over supplier contract changes
- Brown-Forman appoints Jack Daniel's president
- Diageo inks UK distribution deals
- Maxxium UK head to depart for Edrington role
- Diageo's United Spirits stays in red in YTD
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review