UK: SA Brain to shed jobs
There are fears of job losses at Cardiff brewer SA Brain following the company's announced distribution deal with Scottish & Newcastle last week.
Reports have suggested up to 100 jobs may go, with drivers, assistants, warehouse workers and customer services staff facing the axe at the brand's South Wales distribution centre.
A spokesperson for the company confirmed to just-drinks today (26 January) that it has opened a consultation with staff, but declined to put a figure on potential cuts.
"We are in a period of consultation and, yes, job losses are possible," she said.
The news follows last week's deal between the Welsh brewer and Scottish & Newcastle UK (S&N UK) to cover distribution and brewing.
Under the deal, S&N UK will distribute Brains beer in the free trade, as well as expand the brewer's reach beyond its traditional heartland of Wales and southwest England.
SA Brain will, in turn, brew selected S&N brands at its brewery in Cardiff from 2010 and for at least seven years.
The Coca-Cola Co posted a healthy 16% lift in first half net profits this week, ahead of PepsiCo's 2% drop. Michelle Russell examines the fortunes of the two rivals....
Fortune Brands is to increase spending behind key spirits brands in the second half of 2009, following a "solid" performance across much of its portfolio in the last six months....
Anheuser-Busch InBev has completed the previously announced sale of Oriental Brewery (OB) to an affiliate of Kohlberg Kravis Roberts & Co (KKR) for US$1.8 billion....
Diageo has welcomed the acquisition of a 1% stake in the company by one of China's largest state-controlled investment groups....
Wine and spirit maker Constellation Brands has signed multiyear deals with four distributors in the US in a bid to streamline its distribution network....
Coca-Cola Femsa has reported a 29% rise in sales for the first half of 2009, boosted by sparkling soft drinks in Mexico and Brazil-based Refrigerantes Minas Gerais (Remil)....
Brown-Forman executive officers and directors will not receive salary increases in the coming year, the company's board of directors has said....
Fortune Brands has reported a 58% drop in net profits for the first six months of 2009, but reaffirmed full-year guidance following a solid performance from subsidiary Beam Global Spirits & Wine....
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- How to turn a domestic spirit into a global brand
- The dangers of squaring up to your competitor
- The US beer market - A level playing field for all
- Remy Cointreau's Q2 and H1 - preview
- Sidney Frank CEO to head Clooney's import co
- Diageo sells off United Spirits' Bouvet Ladubay
- Captain Morgan distillation trial queried by USVI
- Irish whiskey brands could fail without bulk
- Sazerac sues Brown-Forman over Tennessee Fire
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts