UK: Russian whisky rivals no concern for Scotch - SWA
Reports that a growing number of Russian distilleries are turning their stills to whisky do not pose a threat to Scotch growth, says the Scotch Whisky Association.
Competing distilleries in Russia's northern Caucasus have set up to produce whisky, one in the style of Irish and the other Scotch, according to a report in this weekend's Scotland on Sunday newspaper.
Scotch distillers remain unperturbed by an emerging challenge to their fast-growing export sales in one of the world's bastions of vodka consumption, however.
Scotch sales to Russia rose by 33% in volume and 57% in value, to GBP17.7m, for the first ten months of 2008, the Scotch Whisky Association told just-drinks today (12 January).
A spokesperson said that Russia is an integral market for Scotch whisky sales going forward. He said of Russian-made whisky: "This is a reflection of how well Scotch is going down in Russia. Consumers are aware of what Scotch is and it is already well received."
After four years at the helm at Drambuie, Phil Parnell has led the one-brand company on a turnaround of healthy proportions. As the global recession takes hold, Olly Wehring quizzed him on the secrets...
There are circumstances when tradition and heritage are to be cherished and there are others when both can hang like dead weights around your neck....
The Black Grouse Scotch whisky, owned by Edrington Group and distributed by Maxxium UK, has received a packaging revamp following its launch last year....
Harriet Harman, a cabinet minister in the UK Government, has backed a growing campaign to persuade Diageo to rethink plans to cut more than 10% of its workforce in Scotland....
Tanqueray gin is in a similar position to Johnnie Walker Scotch whisky ten years ago, according to Diageo's global gin director, who is overseeing a relaunch of the Tanqueray brand....
Tim Condron is to leave Beam Global Spirits & Wine to become vice president of sales and marketing for the Beam Global portfolio at distributor Southern Wine & Spirits of America....
Diageo is facing a trade union revolt over its plan to cut more than 10% of its workforce in Scotland, while the country's Government has pleaded with the company to rethink its proposal....
Pernod Ricard has launched a limited edition package for its Chivas Regal Scotch whisky brand....
- Have spirits companies forgotten the mainstream?
- Does alcohol accelerate the onset of dementia?
- Pernod's mood darkens over India - Analysis
- Why Scotch must drop the 'malts good, blends bad'
- Ashwagandha - The next functional drinks trend?
- Moet Hennessy unaffected by LVMH Dior buy
- Diageo to cut 105 jobs in Scotland, 50 in Italy
- Distell acquires majority stake in Cruz Vodka
- Portman Group heads to Tesco for new chief exec
- William Grant names Europe & NA Travel Retail head
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Champagne and sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends