GLOBAL: Russian vodka boycott spreads through gay community - report
Russian vodka brands are being spurned by some gay communities
A boycott of Russian vodka in the wake of anti-homosexual legislation has spread across the world, according to reports.
Bars and nightclubs in Australia, the UK, the US and Canada have joined in the boycott of brands including Stolichnaya and Russian Standard, The Atlantic reported yesterday (29 July). The boycott started last week in Chicago after the Russian Government passed legislation banning the promotion of “non-traditional relationships”.
One gay bar in London confirmed to just-drinks today that it is taking part in the boycott. The duty manager for Compton's of Soho's said the central London pub has taken Russian Standard off its shelves in protest against the move. The bar has no Stolichnaya stock at this time, the manager said.
Last week, the head of SPI Group, which owns the international rights to Stolichnaya, attacked the legislation and said the Luxembourg-based company has no links to the Russian Government. SPI's Stolichnaya is bottled in Latvia using Russian ingredients.
Russian Standard has yet to respond to a request for comment.
If Scotch sales receive an end-of-year bump this month, there's a good chance it is from whisky executives toasting a banner year for the brown stuff....
Cider/perry sales remain negligible in Uzbekistan due to a lack of awareness of such products and very limited demand....
The final just-drinks management briefing of the year takes a look back at the last 12 months in the global drinks industry. The penultimate chapter in this five-part briefing reviews 2013 for wine....
RTDs/high-strength premixes sales are negligible in Uzbekistan....
The popularity of wine is limited in Uzbekistan, with consumption typically being restricted to certain traditional events such as wedding ceremonies. The main force driving sales is the fact that the...
Spirits sales continue to be boosted by rising consumer living standards – a development which is key considering the recent ban on the advertising of alcoholic drinks. Rising living standards are res...
- Why Chinese beverages won't conquer the world
- Gin: Plymouth's from Plymouth, London's from...?
- Coca-Cola pressure builds as bid rumours swirl
- Interview: Distell Vineyards & Estates' CEO
- Is “Craft” the Next Big Thing for Soft Drinks?
- Anheuser-Busch InBev cuts jobs in US shake-up
- Diageo targets Millenial women with Baileys push
- NPD - DeLeon Tequila's Platinum and Reposado
- Diageo unveils Ciroc in Times Square push
- Beam Suntory appoints chief HR officer
- Early Signals: future scenarios that will drive consumption and product innovation over the next five years
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Beer Opportunities: Beyond Standard Lager
- The IWSR Global Trends Report 2014
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research