GLOBAL: Russian vodka boycott spreads through gay community - report
Russian vodka brands are being spurned by some gay communities
A boycott of Russian vodka in the wake of anti-homosexual legislation has spread across the world, according to reports.
Bars and nightclubs in Australia, the UK, the US and Canada have joined in the boycott of brands including Stolichnaya and Russian Standard, The Atlantic reported yesterday (29 July). The boycott started last week in Chicago after the Russian Government passed legislation banning the promotion of “non-traditional relationships”.
One gay bar in London confirmed to just-drinks today that it is taking part in the boycott. The duty manager for Compton's of Soho's said the central London pub has taken Russian Standard off its shelves in protest against the move. The bar has no Stolichnaya stock at this time, the manager said.
Last week, the head of SPI Group, which owns the international rights to Stolichnaya, attacked the legislation and said the Luxembourg-based company has no links to the Russian Government. SPI's Stolichnaya is bottled in Latvia using Russian ingredients.
Russian Standard has yet to respond to a request for comment.
If Scotch sales receive an end-of-year bump this month, there's a good chance it is from whisky executives toasting a banner year for the brown stuff....
The final just-drinks management briefing of the year takes a look back at the last 12 months in the global drinks industry. The penultimate chapter in this five-part briefing reviews 2013 for wine....
- Heineken goes from strength to strength - Analysis
- Treasury Wine Estates CEO - Interview Pt II
- Treasury Wine Estates CEO - Interview Pt I
- Key trends for the alcohol category in 2017
- The just-drinks Analyst
- Rum braced for falling volumes in years ahead
- Non-alcoholic Heineken set to hit Europe - CEO
- Beam Suntory boosts top-line in 2016 - results
- Beam Suntory revamps Bowmore whisky packaging
- Molson Coors hit by US$500m write-down in Canada
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends