SWEDEN: Russian integration hits BBH volumes
Baltic Beverages Holding, the brewing venture between Carlsberg and Scottish & Newcastle, has seen the integration of its Russian operations hit volumes in the country during the first quarter of 2006.
BBH today (10 May) revealed that beer volumes in Russia had dipped 1% in the first three months of the year as the merger of its four breweries in the country hampered distribution. The company is in the middle of merging the operations of Baltika with fellow Russian brewers Pikra, Vena and Yarpivo.
The volume decline hit BBH's market share in Russia, which dipped to just under 35%. However, the company, Russia's market leader, said it had a series of product launches in the pipeline to win back sales.
BBH enjoyed more buoyant performances in the Ukraine, the Baltic states and Kazakhstan. Volumes in the Ukraine rose 12% and were up over 5% in the Baltic region. In Kazakhstan, where BBH is pallning to doubkle its capacity this year, beer volumes rose 36%.
In all, the brewer saw first-quarter EBITDA rise 11.3% to EUR77m (US$98.5m), while net sales rose 15% to EUR342m.
For the final quarter of last year, the company posted a rise in sales of EUR392m with EBITDA up by 40.4% at EUR100m. For the full year, sales rose by 21% year-on-year, coming in at EUR1.76bn (US$2.089bn). EBITDA for the year was up by 24.7% on the year before, at EUR484m for the group.
Major brewing groups are clamouring to get into India, which, by dint of its young population, expanding economy and rising personal disposable income offers huge growth potential. International group...
Russia's largest brewer Baltika is considering building a brewery in the Siberian city of Novosibirsk next year....
UK spirits group Halewood International has named former Constellation Brands executive Graham Oak as marketing director....
A former executive at brewing giant Scottish & Newcastle is putting together a stable of imported beers he hopes will boost the quality of beer on sale in the UK....
Carlsberg's venture in Malaysia has bought a stake in the Danish brewer's distributor in Taiwan to boost exports to the Asian country....
Baltika Breweries will next week welcome a new marketing chief to the company. Marcho Kuyumdzhiev will start in his role as vice president for marketing at Russia's largest brewer on 7 November....
United Breweries Ltd has posted a leap in net profit for its third quarter on the back of rising sales....
Sales and marketing jobs at InBev UK are under threat as the company restructures its operations for the second time in a year....
- Can craft breweries compete in lager arena?
- SABMiller's Q1 sales performance by region - Focus
- Remy Cointreau's Q1 performance by brand, region
- A Wild Geese, Pernod Ricard conspiracy theory?
- A snapshot of the UK spirits market - Focus
- Diageo appoints new Smirnoff head
- Brown-Forman takes distribution in Spain in-house
- AB InBev halts VAIP incentive plan
- New Hendrick's Gin would have to be "unusual"
- Gruppo Campari trials Negroni pre-mix
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends