RUSSIA: Russian agency says Stoli trademark rights illegal
The Audit Chamber has apparently prepared the relevant report for the Russian government after an audit on the privatisation of Soyuzplodimport.
The Russian news service Interfax said in a story today: "The Audit Chamber College noted that after the foundation of the joint stock company Soyuzplodimport in 1992 and the transfer of property belonging to the all-union foreign trading association of the same name the illegal removal of state property occurred. This property includes trade names for Stolichnaya and Moskovskaya."
The results of the audit could deal Allied Domecq an embarrassing blow after it clinched the ten year distribution rights for Stolichnaya in the US market in a deal with Soyuzplodimport. The rights had been owned by Allied's arch rival Diageo who analysts believe lost the rights because of its preference to focus on its own brand Smirnoff.
A spokesman for Allied Domecq told just-drinks.com that it was in the best interests of the brand for Allied to remain as the distributor.
He said: "I haven't seen an official statement, I have only seen what Diageo has said and it looks like a case of sour grapes to us. We are not expecting the revoking of Soyuzplodimport's trademark rights and my understanding is that this is not going to effect what we are doing."
He concluded that the company had investigated the position of Stoli before the deal was made and was "confident Allied's position was sound".
Diageo is looking to change the image of one of its flagship brands in Colombia....
The US consumer goods group Fortune Brands has confirmed it is in talks about launching a joint bid with Pernod Ricard for Allied Domecq....
Diageo is to launch a new global advertising campaign for Smirnoff Ice. The first ad in the global campaign, 'Garden', launches in Great Britain on April 11th on terrestrial and satellite TV. ...
Fideuram Wargny has upgraded its rating of Pernod Ricard to 'buy' from 'hold'. Its analysts argue that the merger talks with Allied Domecq is a catalyst for share growth....
Diageo has completed another share buyback transaction....
Fortune Brands has started making moves to acquire in the European drinks industry, according to press reports....
E&J Gallo has announced a number of appointments within its European division....
Diageo's Smirnoff Signatures line of premixed cocktails is now available nationwide in the US....
- Craft spirits shake-out will be just the beginning
- How Treasury is rewriting the rule book - Comment
- Drinkable yogurt - The next drinks opportunity
- Coca-Cola India suspends bottling operations
- Has Diet Coke passed its sell-by date? - Comment
- Diageo brands need "fixing and nurturing" - TWE
- SAB shareholders granted AB InBev vote split
- Diageo's Guinness Rye Pale Ale - NPD
- Craft Brew Alliance poised for AB InBev takeover?
- Pernod Ricard wins Ron Matusalem 'Cuba' legal row
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Carlsberg AS (CARL B) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages