RUSSIA: Russia bans Moldovan wines and spirits - report
Russia has banned the importation of Moldovan wines and spirits over quality concerns, according to reports.
Gennady Onishchenko, Russia's Chief Sanitary Inspector, claimed that there has been “violations in technical preparation, storage and end-production” of Moldovan products, Reuters reported yesterday (10 September), citing the Interfax news agency. "The ban is a necessary step that we have undertaken reluctantly, but it is the only possible way of solving the present situation," he was reported as saying.
Russia previously banned imports of Moldovan wine in 2006 over similar concerns, with the embargo lifted in late 2007. Moldovan wines account for around 10% of total category sales in Russia.
Valerii Lazar, Moldova's economy minister told Reuters: "We will have to clarify where technical problems about the quality of Moldovan wine end and where political aspects begin."
It has been suggested that the new ban has been introduced because Russia is unhappy with Moldova stepping up its commerical ties with the European Union, in favour of expanding its links to Russia.
The Future of the Wine Market in Russia to 2017
The report presents detailed data on the Wine consumption trends in Russia, providing historic and forecast consumption volume and value at market and category level, alcoholic strength (Fortified Win...read more
- Interview - Beam Suntory's EMEA president
- Beckham, Diageo and the Allure of the VIP Pop-Up
- What do A-B InBev results mean for SABMiller deal?
- Interview - William Grant & Sons
- just The Preview - Brown-Forman Q3 & YTD
- Diageo, Beckham launch VIP pop-up for Haig Club
- Diageo completes Don Julio, Bushmills swap deal
- Pinnacle Vodka, Skinnygirl roll out on ice
- Beam Suntory strikes new Baltics tie-up
- Diageo reveals US$400m Tequila investment
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research