RUSSIA: Russia bans Moldovan wines and spirits - report
Russia has banned the importation of Moldovan wines and spirits over quality concerns, according to reports.
Gennady Onishchenko, Russia's Chief Sanitary Inspector, claimed that there has been “violations in technical preparation, storage and end-production” of Moldovan products, Reuters reported yesterday (10 September), citing the Interfax news agency. "The ban is a necessary step that we have undertaken reluctantly, but it is the only possible way of solving the present situation," he was reported as saying.
Russia previously banned imports of Moldovan wine in 2006 over similar concerns, with the embargo lifted in late 2007. Moldovan wines account for around 10% of total category sales in Russia.
Valerii Lazar, Moldova's economy minister told Reuters: "We will have to clarify where technical problems about the quality of Moldovan wine end and where political aspects begin."
It has been suggested that the new ban has been introduced because Russia is unhappy with Moldova stepping up its commerical ties with the European Union, in favour of expanding its links to Russia.
The Future of the Wine Market in Russia to 2017
The report presents detailed data on the Wine consumption trends in Russia, providing historic and forecast consumption volume and value at market and category level, alcoholic strength (Fortified Win...read more
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Cuba-US Normalisation: Bacardi, Pernod Winners?
- Sustainability in Wine - Part I
- Time is Right for Refresco Gerber Exit
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Diageo rolls out Beckham's Haig Club to US
- Brown-Forman eyeing Scotch, Irish whisk(e)y entry?
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018
- Global market review of non-Scotch whiskies – forecasts to 2018