US: Rumours link Anheuser-Busch to Scottish & Newcastle move
A report in yesterday's (24 February) Sunday Times claimed that the US-based brewer has been studying financial data on S&N, as it seeks opportunities to expand outside its domestic market. The report did not cite any sources for the claim.
When contacted by just-drinks today, Randolph Baker, vice president and CFO at A-B, said: "It is our policy to not confirm, deny or speculate on rumours of potential investments, acquisitions, mergers, new business partnerships or other transactions."
Last week, SABMiller was moved to issue a statement saying that it has not lined up a counterbid for S&N, after sources claim the UK brewer was poised to swoop.
Carlsberg and Heineken are hoping to close their purchase of S&N, for GBP8.00 per share, by the end of April.
Heineken has completed a review of its recently-acquired half of Scottish & Newcastle, and has said it expects higher synergy savings than it previously forecast....
The top ten most visited stories on just-drinks this week:...
Heineken has been given clearance to proceed with its purchase of Eichhof Holdings' beverage division in Switzerland....
Celebrity Jessica Simpson is to be the 'face' of beer brand Stampede Light Plus, marketed as the beer for health-conscious consumers, in the US....
Chinese beer group Tsingtao Brewery Co has held off rising costs and a weaker domestic beer market to increase profit by 42% in its first half....
InBev has been asked for further information from the US Department of Justice before receiving clearance for its acquisition of Anheuser-Busch....
Anheuser-Busch has said CEO August Busch IV is in talks to sign a multi-million dollar consultancy contract with the brewer's prospective new owners, InBev....
Baltika has strengthened its hand in central Asia by completing the takeover of Azerbaijan's largest brewer, Baku-Castel....
- Boom time for soft drinks in West Europe?
- Protein interest offers drinks opportunities - NPD
- The category today - Scotch Whisky I
- Patron's lesson for the broader spirits sector
- Alcohol and the risk of breast cancer - ISFAR
- Analysts clash over AB InBev SAB Brexit impact
- Pernod switches Travel Retail Europe op's director
- AB InBev unveils Stella Artois three-packs
- Rum "yet to maximise" GTR potential - Bacardi
- SABMiller issues currency alert as Africa weakens
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Keurig Green Mountain in Hot Drinks (World)
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends