UK: Rumoured buyer silent over Loch Lomond Distillery deal
Private equity group Exponent has declined to comment on reports that it is in talks to take control of Loch Lomond Distillery Company.
Exponent, which has meat-free food range Quorn among its assets, is holding discussions with the Scottish firm and is the “front runner” to acquire the distillery, according to a report on Sky News today (2 April). Speculation that Loch Lomond is poised to be taken over first emerged in February.
When contacted by just-drinks today, a spokesperson for Exponent said it would not be commenting on the report.
Loch Lomond Distillers also declined to comment to just-drinks. A spokesperson said: “Nobody is taking press enquiries.”
Loch Lomond, which owns brands including Loch Lomond and Glen Scotia, claims to be one of Scotland's oldest distilleries and the second-largest family-owned Scotch maker, after William Grant & Sons. It is the only distillery in Scotland that produces grain and malt whisky on the same site, it says, with a combined output of 43m bottles a year.
Last year, it was reported that the company allegedly "ripped up the contracts of about half its staff" and transferred 16 posts to a job agency to cut costs.
Colombia has shown an interesting development in the luxury industry, and the alcoholic drinks category has not been indifferent to the trend. Some examples of new premium lines that appeared in 2012 ...
A spate of recent trademark rows in the drinks industry has prompted Stuart Whitwell from Intangible Business to cast his eye over some of them, to see if there's a common thread....
Changing demographics, growing economies, increased disposable income and the rise in international and business travel have all contributed to the burgeoning travel retail sector....
- Is A-B InBev/SABMiller 'Mega-Merger' Off?
- Sustainability: What Craft Teaches Multi-Nationals
- Scotch Whisky Top 20 Export Markets 2014
- Pernod takes positives from China Cognac bounce
- Ethiopia competition to remain "intense" - Diageo
- Heineken to cut jobs in global shake-up
- Bacardi bags a Bourbon with Angel's Envy buy
- Bacardi Brown-Forman here to stay
- Moet Hennessy sells Scotch Malt Whisky Society
- Carlsberg takes on Stella Artois in new campaign
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Heineken N.V. - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Champagne: Less Than Bubbly