UK: Rumoured buyer silent over Loch Lomond Distillery deal
Private equity group Exponent has declined to comment on reports that it is in talks to take control of Loch Lomond Distillery Company.
Exponent, which has meat-free food range Quorn among its assets, is holding discussions with the Scottish firm and is the “front runner” to acquire the distillery, according to a report on Sky News today (2 April). Speculation that Loch Lomond is poised to be taken over first emerged in February.
When contacted by just-drinks today, a spokesperson for Exponent said it would not be commenting on the report.
Loch Lomond Distillers also declined to comment to just-drinks. A spokesperson said: “Nobody is taking press enquiries.”
Loch Lomond, which owns brands including Loch Lomond and Glen Scotia, claims to be one of Scotland's oldest distilleries and the second-largest family-owned Scotch maker, after William Grant & Sons. It is the only distillery in Scotland that produces grain and malt whisky on the same site, it says, with a combined output of 43m bottles a year.
Last year, it was reported that the company allegedly "ripped up the contracts of about half its staff" and transferred 16 posts to a job agency to cut costs.
Colombia has shown an interesting development in the luxury industry, and the alcoholic drinks category has not been indifferent to the trend. Some examples of new premium lines that appeared in 2012 ...
A spate of recent trademark rows in the drinks industry has prompted Stuart Whitwell from Intangible Business to cast his eye over some of them, to see if there's a common thread....
Changing demographics, growing economies, increased disposable income and the rise in international and business travel have all contributed to the burgeoning travel retail sector....
- Coca-Cola pressure builds as bid rumours swirl
- Gin: Plymouth's from Plymouth, London's from...?
- Comment - Diageo Making the Best of a Bad Job?
- Comment - IPO Launch a Tonic for Fever-Tree
- Fireball Recall: Putting Out Fire with Anti-Freeze
- NPD - Moët Hennessy’s Glenmorangie Dornoch
- Anheuser-Busch InBev cuts jobs in US shake-up
- Diageo targets Millenial women with Baileys push
- Pernod blames rule changes for Plymouth GI drop
- William Grant unveils bespoke Glenfiddich website
- Early Signals: future scenarios that will drive consumption and product innovation over the next five years
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Beer Opportunities: Beyond Standard Lager
- The IWSR Global Trends Report 2014
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research