UK: Rumoured buyer silent over Loch Lomond Distillery deal
Private equity group Exponent has declined to comment on reports that it is in talks to take control of Loch Lomond Distillery Company.
Exponent, which has meat-free food range Quorn among its assets, is holding discussions with the Scottish firm and is the “front runner” to acquire the distillery, according to a report on Sky News today (2 April). Speculation that Loch Lomond is poised to be taken over first emerged in February.
When contacted by just-drinks today, a spokesperson for Exponent said it would not be commenting on the report.
Loch Lomond Distillers also declined to comment to just-drinks. A spokesperson said: “Nobody is taking press enquiries.”
Loch Lomond, which owns brands including Loch Lomond and Glen Scotia, claims to be one of Scotland's oldest distilleries and the second-largest family-owned Scotch maker, after William Grant & Sons. It is the only distillery in Scotland that produces grain and malt whisky on the same site, it says, with a combined output of 43m bottles a year.
Last year, it was reported that the company allegedly "ripped up the contracts of about half its staff" and transferred 16 posts to a job agency to cut costs.
A spate of recent trademark rows in the drinks industry has prompted Stuart Whitwell from Intangible Business to cast his eye over some of them, to see if there's a common thread....
- Comment - Diageo CFO to North America? Do the Math
- Hail Marie Brizard: But, For How Long?
- 5 reasons why Constellation's Meiomi buy works
- What do Brewers need from the UK Government?
- Constellation Brands basks in beer glory
- Diageo sells "non-core" Gleneagles
- Diageo ditches Shui Jing Fang plans in China
- William Grant partners Rugby World Cup
- MillerCoors changes CMOs with immediate effect
- Molson Coors acquires Rekorderlig UK rights
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- The IWSR Company Profile 2014 – Remy Cointreau
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research