Rum trade body targets US with provenance marque launch
The West Indies Rum and Spirits Producers’ Association is taking the rum marque to the US
The West Indies Rum and Spirits Producers’ Association (WIRSPA) is set to extend the footprint for its 'marque of provenance' into North America and three more European markets.
The trade association, which introduced the Authentic Caribbean Rum (ACR) marque in 2008, is rolling it out to the US, Canada, Denmark, Portugal and Ireland. The tag can be used by the 18 members of WIRSPA, who hail from 13 countries in the Forum of the Caribbean Group of African, Caribbean and Pacific (ACP) States (CARIFORUM).
"WIRSPA members include many smaller brands who would otherwise struggle to get their voice heard in the face of competition from huge global producers," said chairman Frank Ward. "The sales figures of some of these companies are higher than the entire GDP of several CARIFORUM countries combined."
"Rum producers in outlying US territories receive massive subsidies that exceed their cost of production and make our own brands uncompetitive. Selling into the US from the Caribbean remains incredibly difficult and so it’s crucial both socially and economically that WIRSPA tackles some of these challenges with its awareness campaign."
The association claims that around 60% of rum production from the CARIFORUM area is exported, generating in the region of US$250m in taxes per year.
- The end is nigh for Global Travel Retail - Comment
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Interview, Bulldog Gin founder Anshuman Vohra
- Pernod Ricard's Q1 results - Preview
- Pernod Ricard Q1 2017 results by region, brand
- Diageo most at risk to Thai alcohol ban - analyst
- Jobs at new India hub won't affect staff - Diageo
- Stumbling UK Pound prompts Conviviality price hike
- US craft spirits could be as big as craft beer
- AB InBev fund ZX Ventures buys homebrew co
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends