CHILE: Rum and vodka imports challenge whisky's market share.
Bacardi-Martini Chile reported this weekend that sales of imported rum in Chile are growing fast and representing a threat to whiskey, Chile's most popular import liquor.
Imported rum sales jumped 37% in 2001, while vodka sales grew 15%. Whiskey imports, which make up 37% of Chile's imported liquor sales, grew just 1% last year. Whiskey sales total US$32.9m.
Bacardi-Martini Chile general manager Patricio Bauerle said the increased sales of rum and vodka were a result of marketing by large import companies.
Bauerle explained that Bacardi has competed head to head with Johnnie Walker. Last year, Bacardi traditional rum and Bacardi Lemon together outsold Johnnie Walker's Red Label, which was the leading imported label up until 2000.
"The policy of Bacardi is to invest to grow, and that's why we are the best selling liquor brand in the world," Bauerle said.
Comercial Peumo Limitada product manager Juan Carlos Kaplan, whose company distributes Absolut Vodka, said that vodka's increased sales were because of globalisation, a growing sophistication of Chilean consumers and marketing efforts. He said that a greater variety of prices in vodkas and rums has also given Chileans more choices.
"A vodka like Absolut aims to fill a niche of premium consumers, because Absolut is an aspirational brand," Kaplan said.
As Pernod Ricard, Allied Domecq and Fortune Brands close in on the biggest drinks industry deal since the sale of Seagram, opinion about how the deal will be structured and who stands to win and lose ...
As the US distillers' association, Discus, for the first time in its history publishes its annual report into spirits advertising, which includes complaints against its self-regulatory code, David Rob...
The Absolut Spirits Company (ASCI) has received the go-ahead from the US Federal Trade Commission for its acquisition of Cruzan International....
Pernod Ricard is pushing the Office of Fair Trading (OFT) to release more info about one of its competitors, according to press reports....
V&S Absolut Spirits has opened a new distillery in Nöbbelöv, just outside Åhus....
Bacardi has announced a succession plan for the company's chairmanship....
Bacardi has unveiled the identity of its new CEO and president....
The chairman and chief executive of Bacardi International Ltd. is to retire, according to press reports....
- Pernod Ricard's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- Battle continues for Pernod Ricard in US and China
- Japan follows in Scotch whisky's footsteps
- American whiskey does a vodka - Analysis
- Why consumers don't care about vodka's provenance
- Pernod Ricard "in line" after full-year results
- India overtakes France for Pernod Ricard
- New whisky distillery set for Edinburgh
- Diageo launches glass Bulleit & Cola bottles
- Corby's FY suffers from US focus
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Pernod Ricard SA - Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investment Report
- Brown-Forman Corporation (BFB) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review