FRANCE: Ruling leaves Bordeaux wine chateaux in limbo
A last minute bureaucratic hitch has prevented eight Bordeaux châteaux from reclaiming their legal status.
France's government approved on 22 December a ruling that restored the eight St Emilion châteaux to Grands Crus Classés or Premiers Grands Crus Classés status, following their demotion in 2006.
But a Constitutional Committee, convened after Christmas, has rejected the change.
"The rejection was not about content. Everyone, the Senate, the National Assembly and the Commission Mixte Paritaire, voted unanimously in favour," François Despagne, vice president of the St Emilion Wine Union, told just-drinks today (8 January).
The amendment was instead rejected because it had been included in the wrong law.
The châteaux are now unable to sell their 2006 vintage in the US, where the Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau (TTB) fears a potential fraud issue.
Sales in Europe have been approved, said Despagne, but not yet for the 2007 vintage, which is to be bottled in April.
SABMiller's plan to sell a 10% stake in its South African Breweries (SAB) arm to black investors has received positive reactions from the majority of analysts and commentators, writes Chris Mercer....
With tough market conditions at home and a strong euro hampering exports, Chris Losh believes European wine producers need policymakers to make bold decisions rather than resisting or fudging changes ...
Just-drinks has today (2 July) been in attendance at the Westminster Food & Nutrition Keynote Seminar on alcohol, held in London. The morning-long event has been looking at the issue of alcohol consum...
Alcohol charity Drinkaware has appointed Professor Paul Wallace as its chief medical adviser a newly created role....
Halewood International, the UK-based drinks group, is to launch a Moscow Mule RTD variant as part of a GBP500,000 investment in new product development....
Leaders of Ireland's alcoholic drinks industry have joined forces with the Government to launch a new training programme to help companies and marketing agencies understand the country' advert code on...
A leading world health consultant has backed the Scottish Government's proposal to set a minimum price on alcoholic drinks....
Estonia-based spirits company AS Liviko has reported a 42% lift in net profits for 2008....
- What's so special about Islay anyway? - Comment
- Six key trends for alcoholic drinks in 2016
- With MegaBrew sorted, is MegaBev next? - Research
- What do Bourbon and craft beer have in common?
- Ten things to know about spirits in the US
- Bacardi ups ante in US Havana Club row
- Alcohol industry warning over Kroger plan
- SABMiller hits back in UK corporation tax row
- The US is "the first place I look" - Diageo CEO
- Suntory bids for Lucozade, Ribena Nigerian network
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global Whiskey Market 2016-2020
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research