UK: RTDs here for long haul, says Bacardi
Despite slowing sales in their main markets, Bacardi-Martini believes RTDs are here to stay.
The company, which owns the Bacardi Breezer brand, has just completed a series of annual reviews with some of the biggest on and off-trade names across the UK. The reviews led the company to conclude that, almost unequivocally, these retailers are as eager as ever to stock RTDs, but they have to be the right ones. Moreover, they are markedly increasing space and ranging of a select number of brands.
Across the entire trade, operators are overhauling their fridge offerings and consolidating their ranges down to those they are consistently asked for by consumers. Specifically, this covers brands that they consider will be around for the long term and which receive heavyweight communication support from the brand owners and are not simply traded on price.
The situation is consistent across both the on- and off-trade. Ian Webb, group marketing director at Yates, said : "We're supporting the brands that still make an effort in innovation: brands such as Bacardi Breezer with its new Diet Lemon product, which should attract new consumers into the category, especially post-Christmas."
Glen Payne, a category buyer for Safeway supermarkets, said: "We know from experience that the bigger the brand, the greater the sales, particularly at the peak selling periods. Therefore, this year we will be allocating increased space to those brands with the biggest market penetration and relevance to RTD consumers - Bacardi Breezer and Smirnoff Ice."
According to Nielsen figures, Bacardi Breezer continues to be the number one brand in the UK off-trade market and is number two in the on-trade and off-trade combined.
As Pernod Ricard, Allied Domecq and Fortune Brands close in on the biggest drinks industry deal since the sale of Seagram, opinion about how the deal will be structured and who stands to win and lose ...
As the US distillers' association, Discus, for the first time in its history publishes its annual report into spirits advertising, which includes complaints against its self-regulatory code, David Rob...
The board of directors of Bacardi Limited have completed the company's chairman succession plan by electing Facundo L. Bacardi chairman of the board effective immediately....
Spirits producer Bacardi has been ordered by the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to comply with the Clean Water Act with regard to waste water discharges into the Atlantic Ocean from its dist...
Pernod Ricard is pushing the Office of Fair Trading (OFT) to release more info about one of its competitors, according to press reports....
Bacardi has announced a succession plan for the company's chairmanship....
Bacardi has unveiled the identity of its new CEO and president....
The chairman and chief executive of Bacardi International Ltd. is to retire, according to press reports....
- Brown-Forman's march on premium whisk(e)y -Comment
- Will US consolidation leave craft alcohol exposed?
- Are consumers getting tired of consuming?
- Should Boston Beer Co put up the For Sale sign?
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- Brown-Forman to buy BenRiach Distillery Co
- AB InBev snaps up Italy's Birra del Borgo
- Smirnoff Ice Electric flavours - NPD
- Bacardi rolls out new global Martini ad - video
- US craft beer to hit saturation soon - Koch
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Emerging Drinks Industry Trends