AUS: RTD sector in high spirits - figures
Australian off-premise spirits sales rose 8% in June compared to the same month a year earlier, led by a 13% surge in sales of RTDs and cider, according to market research firm Neilsen.
JB Were analyst Ian Abbott said the RTD segment appeared to have stabilised after passing the one-year anniversary of an RTD tax hike.
For the first time in 12 months, RTD volume growth outstripped that of bottled spirits, at 12% and 3% respectively.
Beer volumes increased 8% in June, compared to June 2008. However, Mr Abbott noted the comparisons to year-ago figures were "very easy" so far but would be "progressively tougher" from August. Pricing growth in beer remained consistently strong, at 4%, aided by premiumisation.
Foster's market-leading VB brand continued to shrink, with sales down 1% by value in June, while Lion Nathan maintained its 38% market share by value compared to Foster's 49%.
Coca-Cola Amatil continued to build market presence via its SABMiller distribution joint venture, with sales of Peroni and Miller Genuine Draft surging a combined 51% over the 12 months to the end of June.
Industry advocates may have branded the recent tax rise for RTDs in Australia a “tax grab masquerading as health policy”, but it has shown the Government’s resolve when it comes to alcohol regulation....
While the unprecedented global financial contraction is enforcing changes in consumption patterns, innovation is retaining its focal role as a primary driver for the alcoholic drinks industry, accordi...
From the vineyards of Australia to the boardrooms of the multi-nationals; from job losses and bankruptcies in the UK to the consolidation of the fragmented French sector - few aspects of the world's w...
With the end of the year looming, just-drinks is running a series of 'Top Tens of the Year' in the run-up to Christmas. Today, it's the Top Ten Most Read News Stories of 2009....
Foster's Group will significantly raise its spend on Victoria Bitter in 2010 as part of a three-year plan to adapt the iconic brand to a rapidly changing Australian beer market....
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- The dangers of squaring up to your competitor
- The US beer market - A level playing field for all
- How to turn a domestic spirit into a global brand
- Remy Cointreau's Q2 and H1 - preview
- Sidney Frank CEO to head Clooney's import co
- Diageo sells off United Spirits' Bouvet Ladubay
- Captain Morgan distillation trial queried by USVI
- Irish whiskey brands could fail without bulk
- Sazerac sues Brown-Forman over Tennessee Fire
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts