GERMANY: Rotkaeppchen-Mumm buys Eckes drinks arm
German-based drinks group Eckes AG has sold its German alcoholic drinks subsidiary Eckes Spirituosen & Wein GmbH (ESW) to the German sparkling wine producer Rotkaeppchen-Mumm Sektkellereien for an undisclosed sum.
Eckes said the move formed part of its strategy to focus on fruit juice production. last year, ESW, which produces brands such as Eckes Edelkirsch, Chantre, Mariacron and Echter Nordhaeuser, generated sales of EUR250m (US$320m).
The deal is expected to be completed by the end of the year. ESW employs some 210 people and while the sale is reported to have included the workforce it is not clear whether Rotkaeppchen-Mumm will cut jobs as it integrates the business.
However, Rotkaeppchen-Mumm's chief executive Gunter Heise said he believed the ESW product range complemented Rotkaeppchen-Mumm's existing activities very well. He added that the acquisition would make Rotkaeppchen-Mumm one of leading alcoholic drinks producers in Germany.
The acquisition will also give the company a chance to grow. With Rotkaeppchen-Mumm already controlling around 34.2% of the sparkling wine market in Germany, Heise believes growth potential for the company in the sparkling wine market is limited.
- Why Didn't Diageo Act Sooner on Mallya?
- just The Facts - The Global Wine Industry
- CCE head shines light on price talks
- Interview: Head brewer at Hall & Woodhouse
- just On Call - Pernod shifts Scotch focus in China
- A-B InBev "regrets" Bud Light bottle message
- Diageo teams Johnnie Walker up with Entourage
- MEPs call for calorie, ingredient facts on alcohol
- Bacardi opens Dewar’s Travel Retail whisky store
- Pernod readies Avion Tequila US sweepstake
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research