LWF 2014: Rosé ripe for premiumisation - analyst
Rosé demand has increased in some regions
An analyst has called on the wine industry to do more to premiumise the rosé sub-category, if it wants to attract young adult consumers in mature markets, such as the UK.
Senior Euromonitor analyst Spiros Malandrakis said retailers have few options for high-value rosé, despite it hitting the “sweet spot” with 18-24-year-olds. Currently, most rosés in the UK sit in the middle of the value range, Malandrakis said.
“Rosé is very casual and very approachable for the younger demographic,” the analyst said at this week's London Wine Fair. “It hasn't had much to do with premiumisation yet ... (but) I think this is something that the industry should be looking into in the next couple of years.”
Global interest in rosé is increasing. Exports of rosé wines from France's Provence region increased last year by 15% on increased demand from the US, according to Conseil Interprofessionnel des Vins de Provence.
In April, Vranken-Pommery and Castel gained regulatory clearance to launch a JV focussing on rosé after Vranken's rosé stable posted volume growth of 8% last year.
Global Spirits Market: News and Events February 2014
The report provides a review of the latest news and key events in the global spirits market during February 2014....read more
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Cuba-US Normalisation: Bacardi, Pernod Winners?
- Sustainability in Wine - Part I
- Time is Right for Refresco Gerber Exit
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Diageo rolls out Beckham's Haig Club to US
- Brown-Forman eyeing Scotch, Irish whisk(e)y entry?
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future