LWF 2014: Rosé ripe for premiumisation - analyst
Rosé demand has increased in some regions
An analyst has called on the wine industry to do more to premiumise the rosé sub-category, if it wants to attract young adult consumers in mature markets, such as the UK.
Senior Euromonitor analyst Spiros Malandrakis said retailers have few options for high-value rosé, despite it hitting the “sweet spot” with 18-24-year-olds. Currently, most rosés in the UK sit in the middle of the value range, Malandrakis said.
“Rosé is very casual and very approachable for the younger demographic,” the analyst said at this week's London Wine Fair. “It hasn't had much to do with premiumisation yet ... (but) I think this is something that the industry should be looking into in the next couple of years.”
Global interest in rosé is increasing. Exports of rosé wines from France's Provence region increased last year by 15% on increased demand from the US, according to Conseil Interprofessionnel des Vins de Provence.
In April, Vranken-Pommery and Castel gained regulatory clearance to launch a JV focussing on rosé after Vranken's rosé stable posted volume growth of 8% last year.
Global Spirits Market: News and Events February 2014
The report provides a review of the latest news and key events in the global spirits market during February 2014....read more
- Coca-Cola pressure builds as bid rumours swirl
- Gin: Plymouth's from Plymouth, London's from...?
- Fireball Recall: Putting Out Fire with Anti-Freeze
- Why Chinese beverages won't conquer the world
- Interview: Distell Vineyards & Estates' CEO
- Anheuser-Busch InBev cuts jobs in US shake-up
- Diageo targets Millenial women with Baileys push
- William Grant unveils bespoke Glenfiddich website
- Diageo unveils Ciroc in Times Square push
- NPD - DeLeon Tequila's Platinum and Reposado
- Early Signals: future scenarios that will drive consumption and product innovation over the next five years
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Beer Opportunities: Beyond Standard Lager
- The IWSR Global Trends Report 2014
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research