US: Robert Mondavi founder resigns
The founder of the Robert Mondavi Corporation has stepped down. At the company's annual shareholder meeting on Friday, Robert Mondavi, who turned 90 earlier this year, resigned his post.
The company said he will remain chairman emeritus however and continue to act as an advisor.
The company, which makes Woodbridge and Opus One wines, does not intend to fill Mondavi's seat on the board.
"I've had the good fortune of seeing many of my dreams come true. We've made amazing progress in establishing the Napa Valley as one of the pre-eminent winegrowing regions in the world," said Robert Mondavi. "Now I look forward to spending more time mentoring my grandchildren, and I'm confident that the family's uncompromising passion for quality will carry forward in the capable hands of Michael, Tim and Marcia. I believe that all the pieces are now in place for the company to be successful for decades to come."
Michael Mondavi said: "Earlier this year, Dad celebrated his 90th birthday, a pretty remarkable accomplishment in its own right. His decision to retire from the board means only that. His energy, enthusiasm and vision will continue to inspire all of us on the board and in the company. He can rest assured that his passion for quality and innovation is a permanent part of the company's culture and key to its future success."
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- The dangers of squaring up to your competitor
- The US beer market - A level playing field for all
- Remy Cointreau's Q2 and H1 - preview
- Constellation and Ballast Point's "sticker shock"
- Sidney Frank CEO to head Clooney's import co
- Diageo sells off United Spirits' Bouvet Ladubay
- Diageo Australia appoints commercial head
- Irish whiskey brands could fail without bulk
- A-B InBev to "kick the tyres" at Coca-Cola
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Global Wine Market: News and Events September 2015