US: Robert Mondavi dies at 94
Robert Mondavi, the man who changed the landscape of the US wine industry, passed away on Friday (16 May).
The Mondavi family stated that the vintner, who was 94, died peacefully at his home in Napa Valley.
Mondavi, who was born in Minnesota, founded his eponymous winery in 1966, inspired by a belief he could produce world-class wines in Napa Valley.
He has since become known as one of the world's leading innovators, producers and marketers of fine wine, firmly establishing America's place on the world wine stage.
Richard Sands, chairman of Constellation Brands said: "Robert Mondavi was unique in a very special way. He had a vision about the potential for developing great California wines. Robert was a pioneer who acted on his vision and was both passionate and relentless in his pursuit of ever-better wines, especially from the Napa Valley. He was an inspiration and he will be greatly missed."
In l979, Robert joined forces with Baron Philippe de Rothschild, creating the Opus One Winery in Oakville. He then further expanded his horizons through international partnerships with the Frescobaldi family in Italy and Eduardo Chadwick of Vina Errazuriz in Chile before introducing Robert Mondavi Private Selection, a line of high quality, affordable fine wines in 1994.
For our final interview of 2008, we're putting aside sales forecasts and market performances for a moment in favour of a personal reflection on one of the drinks world’s most influential figures, Robe...
It's a cliché of course that Christmas preparations in the UK seem to get earlier every year. But you have to give the UK supermarket chains their due, it's seemingly never too early to hang the prove...
The news that Constellation Brands last week posted a huge slide in second quarter earnings garnered a mixed reaction amongst the press and analyst community, reflecting some of the contrasting messag...
Constellation Wines Australia has dismissed reports the company is withdrawing from the cask wine business....
Constellation Europe has appointed a key account manager to be based in Poland, as part of the wine giant's expansion into Eastern Europe....
Constellation Europe has launched its on-trade wine brand Jack Rabbit on draught, as the brand continued to expand....
The top ten stories published on just-drinks this week:...
Constellation Europe has signed an agreement with an importer in Finland, which will see the company expand into the on-trade in the country....
- Remy, dead cats and the power of China's new year
- Will Lucas Bols' IPO Bring Much-Needed Stability?
- just the Facts - Top 20 US Beers by Value, Volume
- Focus - Remy Cointreau's YTD Performance by Brand
- Price drops would damage our DNA - Remy Cointreau
- Maxxium UK head to depart for Edrington role
- Diageo inks UK distribution deals
- Diageo's United Spirits stays in red in YTD
- Remy eases declines as China hints at recovery
- Anheuser-Busch to cut 60 bottling jobs
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review