US: Robert De Niro speaks out over VDKA 6100 vodka tie-up
Click through to view a full image of the product
Robert De Niro has said he agreed to promote new luxury vodka brand VDKA 6100 as there is "something special" about the product.
The 70 year-old actor is being credited as “co-creator” of the brand, which was launched in the US in February. The 40% abv vodka is made from whey and New Zealand spring water.
In a video interview with the Wall Street Journal, De Niro said he was approached two years ago about the idea. He said that Margaret Jackson, chairman of Artisan Spirit Merchants (ASM), the Australian firm behind the product, came to his house with some samples. “I tasted it (VDKA 6100) and it was good,” he said.
The Taxi Driver and Raging Bull star, who also has stakes in luxury restaurant group Nobu and hotels, admitted he had shied away from high-profile tie-ups in the past. “It has to have something special about it,” he said. “If I become part of something, I want to be a participant.”
Financial details of the tie-up have not been revealed. However, reports in the Australian media late last year claimed De Niro will be paid around AUD1m a year to promote the brand as part of a five-year deal with ASM.
Australian casino mogul James Packer is among those financially backing the brand.
VDKA 6100 has been initally launched in in New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut, with distribution by Opici Family Distributing Co. The brand comes in two sizes, 750ml, retailing for US$34.99, and a 1-litre bottle for US$44.99.
VDKA 6100 is also due to be launched globally, ASM said.
- Comment - Diageo Steps Up Defence of Haig Club
- Focus - Diageo's H1 Results by Region, Brand
- Comment - Spirits - Where Next for Scotch Whisky?
- just the Preview - Diageo Q2 & H1
- just the Facts - Top 20 US Beers by Value, Volume
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo speaks out over supplier contract changes
- Brown-Forman appoints Jack Daniel's president
- Diageo inks UK distribution deals
- ASA rejects Haig Club ad complaints
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages