JAPAN: Rival brewers join forces in promo push
Japan's brewers, fierce rivals as they fight for share of the country's stagnant beer market, are reportedly set to join forces in a campaign to boost sales.
According to local news agency Kyodo News, a week in late May will be dubbed "Beer-den Week" when there will be a series of promotional activities.
"The Golden Week holidays that everyone knows in Japan are in early May. Now we want to propose that late May is Beer-den Week, a season to enjoy beer by feeling the coming of early summer," the report quoted Sapporo president Masaru Fukunaga as saying.
To promote the week, the brewers said will organise a four-day event at Tokyo's Roppongi Hills from 24 May, the report added.
Last year, Asahi managed to hold on to the top spot in the Japanese beer market despite fierce competition from Kirin.
Asahi leads the Japanese beer market in terms of shipments, selling 187.4m cases last year. Kirin saw sales rise for a second successive year in 2006, reaching 187.1m cases, a climb of 4.8%.
Lion Nathan and Coca-Cola Amatil appear to be the front runners should Australian brewer J Boag & Son go up for sale, according to local reports....
Kirin Holdings, the umbrella company to Kirin Brewery, has posted a slide in net profit for the first half of 2007....
Asahi Breweries has warned that sales this year will be lower than initially forecast....
Japanese brewers Sapporo, Asahi, Kirin, Suntory and Orion have shown a second straight month of year-on-year decreases in beer shipments, according to reports....
Japan's Kirin Brewery Co. has launched its first "premium beer" brand in 14 years....
Kirin Brewery Co. aims to keep its 46.1% stake in the Australian brewer Lion Nathan, according to The Australian Financial Review....
Kirin Holdings, the umbrella company to Kirin brewery, has upgraded its forecasts for the first half of this year....
San Miguel Corp has made no further comment over its talks to sell its stake in Australian dairy and fruit juice company National Foods....
- Remy, dead cats and the power of China's new year
- Focus - Remy Cointreau's YTD Performance by Brand
- Will Lucas Bols' IPO Bring Much Needed Stability?
- Price drops would damage our DNA - Remy Cointreau
- A Dangerous World and the Threat to Beverages
- Moët Hennessy unveils first Travel Retail outlet
- Pernod unveils Jameson bottle for St Patrick's Day
- Maxxium UK head to depart for Edrington role
- Remy eases declines as China hints at recovery
- SABMiller beer volumes fall as China holds back Q3
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future
- The Sugar Backlash and its Effects on Global Consumer Markets