JAPAN: Rising drinks sales drive Asahi Group in H1
- H1 net profits leap by 57.5% to JPY25.63bn (US$327m)
- Sales in six months to end of June rise by 9% to JPY710.29bn
- Operating profits slip by 10% to JPY32.78bn
Asahi released its H1 results yesterday
Asahi has seen the return to pre-earthquake sales levels in Japan prompt a spike in profits for ths first six months of 2012.
The Japanese conglomerate, which houses alcoholic beverages and soft drinks units, said yesterday (2 August) that net profits in the half-year to the end of June soared by 57.5% to JPY25.63bn (US$327m). Net sales were up by 9% to JPY710.29bn, although operating profits were down by 10% at JPY32.78bn.
Sales at its alcoholic beverages division were up by 1.9% over the six months at JPY418.3bn, while the soft drinks business generated sales of JPY167.6bn, an increase of 8.8%.
Asahi also saw its overseas performance shine, delivering an 82.2% jump in sales, to JPY74.7bn. The company has targeted markets beyond Japan for growth as domestic sales have slowed in recent years. Last month, Asahi signed two joint ventures with Indonesia-based PT Indofood CBP Sukses Makmur to market and distribute non-alcoholic drinks in the country.
Aside from its overseas manoeuvres, Asahi remains the beer market leader in Japan, accounting for 36.7% of all sales in the first quarter of 2012.
To read Asahi's official H1 results announcement, click here.
- Diageo NA head on Trump, Millennials, Bourbon
- Has Millennial-mania drowned out elder consumers?
- Interview - Loch Lomond GTR head Andre de Almeida
- Absolut and Smirnoff's conflicting Millennial view
- Brown-Forman's H1 performance by region, brand
- Beam Suntory opens global headquarters in Chicago
- Diageo wine assets integration head to leave TWE
- Absolut not "sufficiently focussed" on Millennials
- Brown-Forman's barrel sales take Scotch hit
- Angostura places CEO on administrative leave
- Luxury Alcoholic Drinks: The Spirit of Premiumisation
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends