UK: Riojans find ECJ support in bottling battle
The European Court of Justice has ruled (May 17th 2000) that restrictions imposed by Spain on the bottling of Rioja wine may be allowed, even though they constitute an impediment to the free movement of goods within the EU.The Court found in favour of Spain, following marathon proceedings brought by Belgium (which was backed by the UK, Denmark, the Netherlands and Finland).Belgium said that rules specifying that Rioja had to be bottled only in authorised cellars in the region of production were illegal under EU free trade rules.The Court decided however that "the risk to which the quality of the product finally offered to consumers was exposed was greater where it had been carried and bottled outside the region of production than when those operations had taken place within the region." Thus the Spanish rules "are justified as a measure protecting the controlled designation of origin."ALAN OSBORN
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 14 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Cuba-US Normalisation: Bacardi, Pernod Winners?
- Time is Right for Refresco Gerber Exit
- Sustainability in Wine - Part I
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Diageo rolls out Beckham's Haig Club to US
- Brown-Forman eyeing Scotch, Irish whisk(e)y entry?
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018
- Global market review of non-Scotch whiskies – forecasts to 2018