SPAIN/UK: Rioja winery to launch flagship label
Bodegas Luis Gurpegui Muga, a winery based in Spain's Rioja region, is to launch its flagship Berceo range of wines in the UK next month.
The family-owned winery, which has appointed UK agent Connoisseur Estates to handle its wines, will unveil the range at the Wines from Spain show in London on 21 February.
Gurpegui Muga owner Primitivo Gurpegui said today (22 January): "We are very pleased to be launching our wines in the UK as it is a market with an educated consumer that knows how to appreciate good wine."
The Berceo range gets its name from Gonzalo de Berceo, a 13th Century monk who was reputedly the first person ever to write in the Spanish language instead of Latin.
Prices for the Berceo range start at GBP7.49 (US$14.79) for the Crianza and Viura and GBP5.99 for the Rosé. The Reserva is priced at GBP13.99-14.99, while the Gran Reserva costs at least GBP15.
Andrew Steel, director of Connoisseur Estates, added: "Gurpegui Muga is an extremely exciting addition to the Connoisseur Estates portfolio, as it gives us a huge range of options and the ability to compete in the market place across all sectors on both price and quality."
Connoisseur Estates, founded in 2002, handles a range of wines from countries including Italy and France.
- Can Bacardi take its rum back to the party?
- What Trans-Pacific Partnership means for drinks
- AB InBev, SABMiller - Here's what'll happen next
- Japan and the global soft drinks race
- ABInBev on the verge of SABMiller buy? - Comment
- A-B InBev raises SABMiller offer to GBP70.5bn
- Carlsberg UK chief James Lousada quits
- Anheuser-Busch InBev wins SABMiller's hand
- Brito gives call to arms to SABMiller shareholders
- Beam Suntory CMO to stand down
- The IWSR Duty Free/Travel Retail Summary Report 2015
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Anheuser-Busch InBev SA/NV - Strategy and SWOT Report