SPAIN: Rioja sales up 25%
After last year's strong harvest and the corresponding fall in grape prices, Rioja wine sales continue to soar both in Spain and in the international market place
Sales for the first quarter of the year reached 59.7m litres, up 24.68% on the first three months of the previous year. Sales in the Spanish domestic market grew by 28% to 44.8m litres while exports shipments increased by 16% to 14.9m litres.
As one would expect, most growth has come from the young non-aged wines segment with an increase of 29% to just under 32m litres. However as the lower prices begin to affect the crianza sector, crianzas also enjoyed a healthy performance growing by 24% to 21.5m litres. Reservas reached 5.5m litres, up 7.5% for the quarter whereas Gran Reservas grew by 12% to just over a million litres.
- Brown-Forman's march on premium whisk(e)y -Comment
- SABMiller in Cent'l & E Europe - What is for sale?
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- A-B InBev and its SABMiller divestments - Focus
- Premiumisation comes to bottled water - NPD
- Brown-Forman to buy BenRiach Distillery Co
- Brown-Forman appoints new GTR marketing head
- Private equity poised for SABMiller Europe buy?
- Bacardi rolls out new global Martini ad - video
- AB InBev to sell SABMiller Cent'l, E Europe assets
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Carbonates in India