Rioja sales hold steady in 2015 - figures
Sales of wines from Rioja were up by just over 1% in 2015
Sales of Rioja inched up last year, according to new figures, with domestic sales of the Spanish DOC wine recording a lift for the first time since 2008's economic downturn.
In results announced today, trade association the Consejo Regulador Denominacion de Origen Calificada Rioja said that Rioja sales in 2015 rose by 1.1% in volume terms on the year prior, totalling 284m litres. Sales by value, however, were up more impressively, by 5.3%. The volume lift was the third consecutive annual increase.
Exports accounted for 38% of Rioja's total 2015 sales. Leading the way is the UK, with a 2% lift – the country takes 34.5% of total exports from the La Rioja region. However, the other key export markets of Germany, the US and Switzerland registered a "slight drop" in sales last year. Meanwhile, Ireland (up 42%), China (up 34.5%), which has climbed to sixth position, and Canada (up 23%) all performed well in 2015.
"In view of promising sales forecasts, the control board has included both Ireland and Canada among the countries targeted for promotional campaigns," the CRDOCR said today.
In Spain, sales volumes inched up by 1.1% to 177.4m litres.
Rioja accounts for 41.3% of all exports of Spanish DOC wine by value, while in volume the region sells 31.4%.
In June last year, the trade association raised its marketing budget for 2015 to around EUR10m (US$11m), a 5% increase on 2014.
- The end is nigh for Global Travel Retail - Comment
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Interview, Bulldog Gin founder Anshuman Vohra
- Pernod Ricard's Q1 results - Preview
- Pernod Ricard Q1 2017 results by region, brand
- Diageo most at risk to Thai alcohol ban - analyst
- Jobs at new India hub won't affect staff - Diageo
- Stumbling UK Pound prompts Conviviality price hike
- US craft spirits could be as big as craft beer
- AB InBev fund ZX Ventures buys homebrew co
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends