AUSTRALIA: Rice wine to be produced in Adelaide
Japanese company, Suzuran International is to spend US$2.6m on a full-scale production plant in Australia for traditional Japanese rice wine, Sake.After spending US$570,000 setting up a test plant with the help of G Patritti & Co, the family winery where Two Dogs lemonade was first produced, and a test run of 50,000 bottles, Suzuran has decided to build its new operation in Adelaide and is expecting exports to reach US$4m in the first 3 years.Australian managing director, Yoshi Tatewaki said the company had looked outside Japan because of the high costs of production in the country. Rice is one-tenth of the cost in Australia and yet the finished product could still sell for up to $30 a bottle in Japan.Geoff Patritti, managing director G Patritti & Co, said he had enjoyed working with the Suzuran team and he hoped Suzuran's founders in Japan would consider importing his company's wines.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 14 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- Cuba-US Normalisation: Bacardi, Pernod Winners?
- Sustainability in Wine - Part I
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Coca-Cola to get boost from Monster in China
- just the Ten - Top Analyses of 2014
- Diageo welcomes verdict on Crown Royal "confusion"
- Bacardi, Pernod Ricard welcome US-Cuba deal
- United Spirits bids for distribution deal approval
- SWA eyes London boost with new office
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018