AUSTRALIA: Rice wine to be produced in Adelaide
Japanese company, Suzuran International is to spend US$2.6m on a full-scale production plant in Australia for traditional Japanese rice wine, Sake.After spending US$570,000 setting up a test plant with the help of G Patritti & Co, the family winery where Two Dogs lemonade was first produced, and a test run of 50,000 bottles, Suzuran has decided to build its new operation in Adelaide and is expecting exports to reach US$4m in the first 3 years.Australian managing director, Yoshi Tatewaki said the company had looked outside Japan because of the high costs of production in the country. Rice is one-tenth of the cost in Australia and yet the finished product could still sell for up to $30 a bottle in Japan.Geoff Patritti, managing director G Patritti & Co, said he had enjoyed working with the Suzuran team and he hoped Suzuran's founders in Japan would consider importing his company's wines.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 15 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- Is Diageo approaching its "Et tu, Brute" Moment?
- Diageo Q4 & FY - Preview
- Has Diageo added Beer to its 'Non-Core' List?
- SABMiller, Carlsberg, Heineken: Poland's beer itch
- Diageo, Heineken and NBL in South Africa & Namibia
- NPD: Tomatin Contrast, Cù Bòcan
- Diageo, Heineken end South Africa, Namibia JV
- Diageo hit by SEC investigation in US
- Diageo comm's director latest to leave
- Pernod launches pomegranate whisky drink
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global cachaca insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research