AUSTRALIA: Rice wine to be produced in Adelaide
Japanese company, Suzuran International is to spend US$2.6m on a full-scale production plant in Australia for traditional Japanese rice wine, Sake.After spending US$570,000 setting up a test plant with the help of G Patritti & Co, the family winery where Two Dogs lemonade was first produced, and a test run of 50,000 bottles, Suzuran has decided to build its new operation in Adelaide and is expecting exports to reach US$4m in the first 3 years.Australian managing director, Yoshi Tatewaki said the company had looked outside Japan because of the high costs of production in the country. Rice is one-tenth of the cost in Australia and yet the finished product could still sell for up to $30 a bottle in Japan.Geoff Patritti, managing director G Patritti & Co, said he had enjoyed working with the Suzuran team and he hoped Suzuran's founders in Japan would consider importing his company's wines.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- It isn't just men who like beer - Comment
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- Why sports drinks fail to ride the Olympic wave
- How the craft economy is loosening alcohol laws
- How soft drinks can exploit alcohol's loss
- Diageo merges US, Canada spirits units
- Johnnie Walker's Bourbon bent "coincidental"
- Diageo investment paying off for Captain Morgan
- "We're not complacent about Brexit" - Diageo
- Luxury and e-commerce a "natural fit" - Diageo
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends