UK: Rheumatoid arthritis scare linked to coffee
People drinking too much coffee may increase the risk of developing rheumatoid arthritis, according to new medical research.Studies at the National Institute of Public Health in Finland, have found that people who drink 11 cups of coffee or more a day are almost 15 times as likely to have rheumatoid factor, which contributes to the onset of rheumatoid arthritis. The findings, published in the latest medical journal of Rheumatic Diseases, also show that those who have more than four cups a day are twice as likely to test positive for arthritis than those who drank less.But, more research has been called for as the ingredient in coffee that may increase the risk of developing rheumatoid factor has yet to be identified. According to the Coffee News Information Service, the study showed an association but not a cause and effect relationship. Coffee drinkers, it said, can be assured that coffee consumption in moderation is perfectly safe.The data was collected 20 years ago, when strong boiled coffee was the norm, so does not represent the normal UK consumption that is primarily of the instant variety, the Service added. Sarah Diston
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 15 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- Remy, dead cats and the power of China's new year
- just the Facts - Top 20 US Beers by Value, Volume
- Will Lucas Bols' IPO Bring Much-Needed Stability?
- Price drops would damage our DNA - Remy Cointreau
- Editor's Viewpoint – What I've Learnt About Chile
- Diageo speaks out over supplier contract changes
- Maxxium UK head to depart for Edrington role
- Diageo inks UK distribution deals
- Brown-Forman appoints Jack Daniel's president
- Diageo's United Spirits stays in red in YTD
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review