UK: Rheumatoid arthritis scare linked to coffee
People drinking too much coffee may increase the risk of developing rheumatoid arthritis, according to new medical research.Studies at the National Institute of Public Health in Finland, have found that people who drink 11 cups of coffee or more a day are almost 15 times as likely to have rheumatoid factor, which contributes to the onset of rheumatoid arthritis. The findings, published in the latest medical journal of Rheumatic Diseases, also show that those who have more than four cups a day are twice as likely to test positive for arthritis than those who drank less.But, more research has been called for as the ingredient in coffee that may increase the risk of developing rheumatoid factor has yet to be identified. According to the Coffee News Information Service, the study showed an association but not a cause and effect relationship. Coffee drinkers, it said, can be assured that coffee consumption in moderation is perfectly safe.The data was collected 20 years ago, when strong boiled coffee was the norm, so does not represent the normal UK consumption that is primarily of the instant variety, the Service added. Sarah Diston
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- How Treasury is rewriting the rule book - Comment
- Craft spirits shake-out will be just the beginning
- Drinkable yogurt - The next drinks opportunity
- Has Diet Coke passed its sell-by date? - Comment
- Coca-Cola India suspends bottling operations
- Diageo brands need "fixing and nurturing" - TWE
- SAB shareholders granted AB InBev vote split
- This week in wine & spirits on just-drinks
- Spirits volumes slide in Global Travel Retail
- Pernod Ricard wins Ron Matusalem 'Cuba' legal row
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Carlsberg AS (CARL B) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages