GLOBAL: Rexam targets wine can growth
Packaging giant Rexam is using the London International Wine Fair to launch a new push for wine in cans, unveiling the first product to emerge from a partnership with Guy Anderson Wines.
The Guy Anderson 'CanCan' wine brand has been launched in the UK at this week's show, with a Sauvignon Blanc variety from south west France. If successful, the group also plans to introduce a Prosecco and Pinot Grigio from Italy.
The wine, produced by Thierry Boudinaud, is targeted at young females from 18 to 30.
For Rexam, the move marks a significant step forward in its bid to widen the appeal of wine packaged in cans.
Irene Martinez, category development manager at Rexam, said that Rexam is primarily targeting demand for convenience and particularly outdoor drinking during the summer months. The group is in talks to supply festivals.
"In 2006 we sold 6m cans to wine companies across Europe, in 2008 we sold 33m and this year we aim to sell 50m," Martinez told just-drinks at the London International Wine Fair this week. Rexam sells around 55bn cans annually worldwide.
Martinez said that, although the firm is beginning from a small base, "this the first time we have had so many resources involved in something so comparatively small".
Global consumer packaging company Rexam is to close its beverage can making plant in Dunkirk, France....
Rexam Beverage Can has lined up full production of its Fusion aluminium bottle at its plant in Czech for the first quarter of 2010....
Rexam, the drinks packaging giant, is seeking further investment to complete its share rights issue designed to raise funds to protect the firm's credit rating....
- How the can has a part to play in beer's future
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- Experienced hands hold firm at CCEP - Analysis
- It isn't just men who like beer - Comment
- Why sports drinks fail to ride the Olympic wave
- Diageo Australia's commercial head to step down
- Diageo reveals revival plan for former factory
- William Grant sees 2015 sales, profits lift
- Stoli Group CEO Rob Cullins to step down
- Jose Cuervo applies to go public
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends