UK/SWITZERLAND: Rexam plans new GBP115m can plant
Rexam is capitalising on growth in the energy drinks market
Rexam has announced plans to build a new GBP115m (US$175.6m) beverage can plant in Switzerland to meet global demand for energy drinks and focus on speciality cans.
The plant in Widnau, the company's first in Switzerland, is due to start production in 2015, the UK-based firm said this week. It will initally operate two lines, then expand to four, with 120 people expected to be employed.
The company counts Red Bull as one of its key customers and last November revealed a GBP20m investment in its Austrian plant to boost production of the brand's cans.
Iain Percival, Rexam Beverage Can Europe's senior director, said the move was part of a bid to “capture growth opportunities in existing and emerging markets”.
He added: "The new plant will free up capacity at other Rexam plants in the region, which will enable us to grow specialty can volumes or release production capacity for other sizes.”
Earlier this week, Rexam reported that full-year pre-tax profits edged up by 1% to GBP418m, as sales saw a 2.6% rise to GBP3.9m.
As explored in Global Sports and Energy Drinks: Where Consumer Lifestyles and "Lifestyle Branding" Meet, energy drinks across the world are positioned and marketed in different ways....
- Diageo Q4 & FY - Preview
- Is Diageo approaching its "Et tu, Brute" Moment?
- Has Diageo added Beer to its 'Non-Core' List?
- Focus - Diageo's FY Performance by Region
- Diageo " knew United Spirits would be complicated”
- NPD: Tomatin Contrast, Cù Bòcan
- Challenges remain as Diageo posts flat FY sales
- Diageo, Heineken end South Africa, Namibia JV
- Bacardi creates Bacardi rum marketing role
- Diageo comm's director latest to leave
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global cachaca insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research