UK/SWITZERLAND: Rexam plans new GBP115m can plant
Rexam is capitalising on growth in the energy drinks market
Rexam has announced plans to build a new GBP115m (US$175.6m) beverage can plant in Switzerland to meet global demand for energy drinks and focus on speciality cans.
The plant in Widnau, the company's first in Switzerland, is due to start production in 2015, the UK-based firm said this week. It will initally operate two lines, then expand to four, with 120 people expected to be employed.
The company counts Red Bull as one of its key customers and last November revealed a GBP20m investment in its Austrian plant to boost production of the brand's cans.
Iain Percival, Rexam Beverage Can Europe's senior director, said the move was part of a bid to “capture growth opportunities in existing and emerging markets”.
He added: "The new plant will free up capacity at other Rexam plants in the region, which will enable us to grow specialty can volumes or release production capacity for other sizes.”
Earlier this week, Rexam reported that full-year pre-tax profits edged up by 1% to GBP418m, as sales saw a 2.6% rise to GBP3.9m.
According to the global company website, Red Bull is focusing on the core markets of Western Europe and the US, as well as the growth markets of Brazil, Japan, India and China. The company is also con...
As explored in Global Sports and Energy Drinks: Where Consumer Lifestyles and "Lifestyle Branding" Meet, energy drinks across the world are positioned and marketed in different ways....
- Comment - Diageo Steps Up Defence of Haig Club
- just the Facts - Top 20 US Beers by Value, Volume
- Remy, dead cats and the power of China's new year
- just the Preview - Diageo Q2 & H1
- Will Lucas Bols' IPO Bring Much-Needed Stability?
- Diageo speaks out over supplier contract changes
- Brown-Forman appoints Jack Daniel's president
- Diageo inks UK distribution deals
- Diageo's United Spirits stays in red in YTD
- Newcastle Brown Ale to lose caramel colouring
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review