EGYPT: Rexam buys up can maker Ecano
Rexam is to buy Egyptian can maker Ecano in a deal worth US$107m.
The packaging company said today (3 February) that it had agreed to buy Ecano from a group of private shareholders.
The acquisition, which is subject to the approval of the Cairo and Alexandria Stock Exchange, will be earnings enhancing from the outset and is expected to meet Rexam's cost of capital from 2007, the company said. It is anticipated that the transaction will complete shortly.
Ecanco is the sole beverage can maker in Egypt. Its plant, located just outside Cairo, comprises a single line for steel beverage cans. Most of its cans are sold locally, with the balance exported to North Africa and the Middle East. The company's major customers are Pepsi and Coca-Cola.
For the financial year 2005, Rexam estimated that Ecanco had sales of US$41m and, at 31 December 2005, net operating assets of US$27m.
"Our strong presence in countries such as Brazil, China, Russia and now Egypt, means that emerging markets account for around 20% of our turnover," said Lars Emilson, Rexam's chief executive.
In the battle of the giants, PepsiCo has stolen a march on Coca-Cola over the last year or so and its performance in the first half of the current fiscal year suggests it is still has the upper hand. ...
A recent report on the UK soft drinks market showed that growth in non-carbonates at the expense of traditional carbonated soft drinks is much less marked in the on-premise sector than in the take-hom...
A departing PepsiCo executive is to be handed a US$4.56m package spread over the next two years for his consultancy services....
The Pepsi Bottling Group has signed a letter of intent to acquire Pepsi-Cola Bottling Company of Charlotte (Pepsi Charlotte) for an undisclosed sum....
The Pepsi Bottling Group today reported second quarter net income of US$148m, or diluted earnings per share (EPS) of $0.59. The results were up on the same period last year as the company grew volumes...
Pepsi-Co. has been removed from a Syrian blacklist of companies which have dealings with Israel, according to a report in the official Syrian newspaper al-Thawra....
Pepsi has launched a new 50cl silver-coloured bottle for its Pepsi light soft drink as part of a major advertising campaign to roll out this summer in Spain....
PepsiCo's president and CFO, Indra Nooyi, has been forced to apologise for remarks she made whilst speaking to the 2005 graduating class of Columbia University's Business School in New York City last ...
- Will Coca-Cola Co’s Dunkin’ Donuts move pay off?
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Heineken's Q3 2016 results - Preview
- Alcohol brands and the 'better-for-you' trend
- Ten ways to successfully target older consumers
- Diageo weathers Thailand alcohol ban
- Heineken's YTD performance by region - Focus
- SWA's David Frost to leave for foreign office role
- Stock Spirits appointments provoke investor unrest
- Anheuser-Busch InBev's Q3 & YTD results - Preview
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends