RUSSIA: Retailers limit imported alcohol sales
Russia's biggest retail outlets have placed restrictions on the sale of imported alcohol, according to local reports.
The move by the country's big four retail chains - Ramstor, Paterson, Perekrestok and Sedmoy Continent - is in response to the Russian government's failure to implement a recently-adopted law on the production and sale of alcoholic beverages.
In January, the Russian government passed legislation on a new duty regime, which required all imported alcohol to be sold with new excise duty stamps. Under the law, bottles with old duty stamps can be brought into Russia until 1 April but must be sold by 1 July.
However, importers in Russia are yet to receive the new duty stamps and retailers fear that they will not be able to sell any product marked with old stamps after 1 April, Russian business daily Kommersant reported yesterday (16 March).
As a consequence, the big four retailers have either placed limits on or completely suspended the sale of imported alcohol on their stores.
The global roll-out of InBev's Brazilian beer, Brahma, adds a third premium brand to the global brewer's international portfolio but some observers have suggested it's an unnecessary step which threat...
Diageo is to launch a new global advertising campaign for Smirnoff Ice. The first ad in the global campaign, 'Garden', launches in Great Britain on April 11th on terrestrial and satellite TV. ...
Pernod Ricard is looking to acquire Allied Domecq....
Allied Domecq and Pernod Ricard have both been downgraded....
Diageo has completed another share buyback transaction....
Diageo's Smirnoff Signatures line of premixed cocktails is now available nationwide in the US....
Diageo is poised to cut back its presence in Germany, according to local reports....
Heineken has acquired a 40% stake in a Chinese brewery....
- Is Brown-Forman doing a Jack Daniel's in Ireland?
- Is Brown-Forman at the end of the SoCo road?
- Are we kidding ourselves over craft spirits?
- What's behind Brown-Forman's Irish whiskey plans?
- Will a sexed-up SABMiller tempt AB InBev?
- Diageo, Treasury Wine Estates quiet on wine sale
- Diageo secures Xerox Corp CFO as finance head
- Tesco pulls several Carlsberg SKUs in UK
- Former Pernod Ricard exec joins Wakefield Wines
- Scotch whisky sees sales turn corner - SWA head
- The IWSR Duty Free/Travel Retail Summary Report 2015
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research