US: Research raises concern over children's drinks
Researchers from the University of Florida's Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences surveyed beverage consumption among more than 10,000 children. They found that, while most are within guidelines established by the American Academy of Pediatrics for juice consumption, their consumption of fruit-flavoured drinks and CSDs exceeds their juice intake from as early as five years of age.
"Our research found that at around age seven, children's consumption of 100% real juice flat-lines, while intake of fruit-flavoured beverages increases," said the research group leader, Gail Rampersaud. "By the time children turn 13 years old, they are drinking nearly four times more carbonated soft drinks than 100% juice."
The research was published in the January 2003 issue of the Journal of the American Dietetic Association.
PepsiCo is about to relaunch in South Africa, a market where Coca-Cola has had things entirely its own way for many years. Arnold Kirkby looks at PepsiCo's plans and assesses the impact the company's ...
The role that soft drinks consumption is playing in the worrying trend of rising childhood obesity has given soft drinks companies a corporate social responsibility challenge every bit as daunting as ...
In the battle of the giants, PepsiCo has stolen a march on Coca-Cola over the last year or so and its performance in the first half of the current fiscal year suggests it is still has the upper hand. ...
A recent report on the UK soft drinks market showed that growth in non-carbonates at the expense of traditional carbonated soft drinks is much less marked in the on-premise sector than in the take-hom...
PepsiCo has posted a better-than-expected rise in profits for the third quarter....
The sale of carbonated soft drinks through vending machines could be banned in UK state schools, according to a report in yesterday's Sunday Times....
Coca-Cola Hellenic Bottling Company has reported a 9% rise in volumes in its first half of the year, leading to a 5% jump in operating profits and a 1% increase in net income....
Cadbury Schweppes this week reported a rise in sales and pre-tax profits for the half to 19 June, with the company's US beverage division gaining share on its rivals....
- Comment - 'Craft' and the Danger of 'Romance Copy'
- Is A-B InBev/SABMiller 'Mega-Merger' Off?
- Diageo's Labels Give Industry Something to Digest
- Pernod takes positives from China Cognac bounce
- Sustainability: What Craft Teaches Multi-Nationals
- Craft is an 'abused' term - Pernod Ricard exec
- SPI Group 'disappointed' over Stolichnaya ruling
- Kraft Foods agrees Heinz merger
- Anheuser-Busch InBev lines up new chairman
- Chilli targets beer with Rekorderlig Dry Apple
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Champagne: Less Than Bubbly
- Beer Market Insights Africa 2014