FRANCE: Remy sees Cognac and Champagne recovery
However Remy said that on a like-for-like basis - with exchange rate movements stripped out of the figures - its turnover for the year rose 5.1% to €1.06 billion.
"This sustained organic growth demonstrates the effectiveness of the marketing expenditure and highlights the dynamism of the Remy Cointreau brands as well as the Group's resilience in a difficult economic and business environment," the company said in a statement.
Remy said that Cognac sales had gained from a recovery in the 4th quarter, mainly in the US and China, following a highly satisfactory year end due to consumer demand. Sales rose by 3% in value terms and 4.6% in volume for the full year.
"The establishment of a new distribution organisation in China, which affected prices, resulted in an encouraging performance during the year with a 9% increase in volumes. Conditions were difficult in Europe, particularly in Germany, with an overall 5% decline in volumes. The sustained growth of Remy Martin in the US, with a 7% increase in volumes, in line with depletions, and the encouraging growth in emerging countries such as Russia, Korea and Mexico, highlight the dynamism of the brand," said the group.
Liqueurs were up 5.7% in value terms with Cointreau up 5.6%. In the US, Cointreau recorded growth in value and volume terms in excess of 10%.
In spirits, Remy said that vodka had suffered from stiff competition and its policy of chasing value in the medium term had impacted on volumes. Outside of vodka, spirits sales were up 3.6%.
The company also experienced a rebound in consumption of Champagne with a 7.7% growth in the 4th quarter in all major Champagne markets, in the US, France and UK as well as in Japan. Sales of Piper-Heidsieck and Charles Heidsieck increased by 31% in volume terms during the period, mainly based on the recent launches of Piper-Heidsieck Rose Sauvage and Charles Heidsieck Mis en Cave 1998.
As Pernod Ricard, Allied Domecq and Fortune Brands close in on the biggest drinks industry deal since the sale of Seagram, opinion about how the deal will be structured and who stands to win and lose ...
Remy Cointreau is looking to restructure its Champagne business, according to local reports....
Remy Cointreau has had its investor rating raised....
Remy Cointreau has posted a drop in full year net profit in spite of increasing revenues....
Remy Cointreau has signed a five-year credit facility for around €500m....
Remy Cointreau has gone to holders of one of its bonds to gain permission to complete the sale of its stake in Bols....
Remy Cointreau has posted a slight rise in revenue growth for fiscal year 2005....
The Polish unit of Remy Cointreau has pulled out of the race for a majority stake in Polmos Bialystok....
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Time is Right for Refresco Gerber Exit
- just the Ten - Top News Stories of 2014
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part III: Soft Drinks
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Brown-Forman eyeing Scotch, Irish whisk(e)y entry?
- Diageo rolls out Beckham's Haig Club to US
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018
- Global market review of non-Scotch whiskies – forecasts to 2018