FRANCE/INDIA: Remy Cointreau turns spotlight on India
Remy Cointreau will be keen to ease its reliance on China in Asia
Remy Cointreau has confirmed to just-drinks that it is looking to up its presence in India's high-end spirits markets, through a partnership with Sula Vineyards in the country.
The French company, which made its initial entry into India two-and-a-half years ago, was reported over the weekend to be increasing its distribution into luxury hotels, social clubs and retail outlets. In recruiting Sula to handle the distribution of its spirits portfolio in the country, Remy Cointreau is targeting tie-ups with premium hotels in India's major cities.
A spokesperson for Remy Cointreau confirmed the reports when contacted by just-drinks today (11 February). While the country's current contribution to Remy's sales is “not significant”, the spokesperson said the firm has “a lot of ambition” for India.
The Sula partnership has been named Remy Cointreau India, the spokesperson added.
The firm will be keen to broaden its Asian presence: It is heavily reliant in the region on China, where its Remy Martin brand is the market leader in the country's Cognac sector.
Remy Cointreau is set to release its fiscal full-year sales results on 18 April.
This is the second edition of our popular ranking of the world's leading spirits brands....
- Interview - Bacardi global marketing boss, whisky
- Has Coca-Cola Jumped From Frying Pan to Fire?
- Constellation grapples with glass as reality bites
- Focus - Heineken's H1 Performance by Region
- Brewers Feel Prolonged Russian Winter
- Diageo doubles intake for spirits start-ups scheme
- Second senior exec to depart Bacardi
- Diageo appoints head for Asia marketing unit
- Bacardi sees North America president step down
- Constellation recalls Corona over glass threat