FRANCE/UK: Remy Cointreau in talks to buy Bruichladdich
Remy Cointreau is looking to buy the single malt producer
The Paris-based firm announced this morning (9 July) that it is in talks with shareholders of the Islay-based, privately-owned, Bruichladdich over "acquiring its entire share capital". Financial details of any potential deal were not disclosed.
In a short statement, Remy said that Bruichladdich, founded in 1881, is a "renowned distiller of premium single malt Scotch whisky" and is "recognised by experts throughout the world for its high quality products". Bruichladdich claims to produce the world's most heavily peated whisky, Octomore.
It currently employs 49 staff, according to the company's website, while all profits are put back into distilling, it says.
Remy's statement added: "In the event of a favourable outcome of negotiations, the signing of an agreement will remain subject to information and authorisation procedures in accordance with current regulations."
The first whisky distillery on the Outer Hebridean island of Harris plans to start production in 2014 with the "super premium" Hearach single malt. ...
With the end of the year looming, just-drinks is running a series of 'Top Tens of the Year' in the run-up to Christmas. Here are just-drinks' ten favourite quotes in 2012....
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- The dangers of squaring up to your competitor
- The US beer market - A level playing field for all
- Remy Cointreau's Q2 and H1 - preview
- Constellation and Ballast Point's "sticker shock"
- Diageo Australia appoints commercial head
- Sidney Frank CEO to head Clooney's import co
- Diageo sells off United Spirits' Bouvet Ladubay
- A-B InBev to "kick the tyres" at Coca-Cola
- Irish whiskey brands could fail without bulk
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Wine Market: News and Events September 2015