UK: Remy Cointreau drops William Grant's First Drinks to go it alone in UK
First Drinks is the UK sales, marketing and distribution unit owned by William Grant & Sons
The UK division of William Grant has confirmed today (10 December) that Remy Cointreau intends to move the sales, marketing and distribution operations in-house for its Remy Martin and Louis XIII Cognac, Passoa liqueur and Mount Gay rum ranges. The two companies have worked together in the country since 2009.
The news follows Remy Cointreau's acquisition of the Scotch whisky producer Bruichladdich last year. The purchase, which also included Bruichladdich's The Botanist gin brand, put Remy at a more competitive level with William Grant, which owns The Balvenie and Glenfiddich single malt brands, and Hendrick's gin.
“First Drinks has enjoyed a long and successful relationship with Rémy Cointreau and we wish them success for their new venture in the UK,” said First Drinks' MD, Chris Mason.
Spyros Ghikas, MD of Rémy Cointreau Europe, Africa & Middle East, added: “We would like to thank First Drinks for its efforts in building the Rémy Cointreau portfolio over the last five years and we wish them well for the future.”
The switch will take effect on 31 March next year.
As well as William Grant's spirits portfolio, First Drinks handles Illva Saronno’s Disaronno and Tia Maria liqueur brands, and EPI's Piper-Heidsieck Champagne offerings
Earlier today (2 June), brand valuation consultancy Intangible Business released the results of its latest survey of the world's wine and spirits brands. Here's a look at 'The Power 100', along with t...
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part I
- The threat of excess choice in beer is over-stated
- Key trends for the beer category in 2017 - Focus
- Key trends for the spirits sector in 2017 - Focus
- Key trends for the alcohol category in 2017
- Pernod Ricard's Method and Madness Irish whiskey
- Premium to counter mainstream in gin - research
- Bacardi lines up Canadian bottling plant closure
- Pernod unveils new St Patrick's Day Jameson bottle
- Asahi Group lifts 2016 sales, profits
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends