INDIA: Remy and Highland cede control of Indian operations
Remy Cointreau and Highland Distillers have ceded control of their loss-making Indian operation DCM Remy to Indian company DCM Shirman Industries (DSIL), their partner in the Indian market.DCM Remy is a 50:50 venture between DSIL and HRI Mauritius, a company floated jointly between Highland Distillers and Remy Cointreau.According to Indian sources the move could be a precursor to the two overseas partners selling out altogether, although a decision has not been reached to this effect.The change in control involves the resignation of the three Highland Distillers and Remy Cointreau nominees on the six-member DCM Remy board. Furthermore, Dinesh Jain, Remy's nomination to the board and the CEO of the company, has also resigned to be replaced by a DSIL nominee.Indian press reports have stated that the new agreement drawn up between the partners will mean that DCM will only be able to sell one Highland brand - Black Bottle - for another three years. The other two brands the foreign partners bought in, Passoa and Cointreau, have been discontinued.According to the Indian source the move was the consequence of a joint agreement between Remy and Highland. They did not want to get into the Indian made foreign liquor segment, which was the area identified for growth by DCM in the future.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 15 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- Interview - Beam Suntory's EMEA president
- Beckham, Diageo and the Allure of the VIP Pop-Up
- Interview - William Grant & Sons
- Interview - Beam Suntory's EMEA head - part II
- What do A-B InBev results mean for SABMiller deal?
- Diageo, Beckham launch VIP pop-up for Haig Club
- Diageo reveals US$400m Tequila investment
- Pinnacle Vodka, Skinnygirl roll out on ice
- Coca-Cola Co apologises over Fanta ad
- Diageo completes Don Julio, Bushmills swap deal
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future