MEXICO: Regulator approves Pepsi-Gemex deal
Pepsi Bottling Group, which is itself 43%-owned by PepsiCo, intends to expand Pepsi-Gemex's business in Mexico, the world's second largest cola market after the US. However, the Mexican market is dominated by Coca-Cola, whose bottlers command a 72% share of the soft drinks sector. Pepsi brands have around a 19% share.
Having taken control of Pepsi-Gemex, Pepsi Bottling Group will be looking to take share from Coca-Cola. But analysts have suggested it should be targeting Coca-Cola in large regional markets before attempting to take on the market leader in the key Mexico City market where its principal bottler, Femsa, has an extremely commanding position.
Pepsi-Gemex is the second largest Pepsi bottler outside the US. It produces around 65% of Pepsi branded drinks in Mexico including Pepsi-Cola and 7-Up. It also distributes alcoholic drinks and owns Mexico's largest purified water company and two other soft drinks bottlers.
In the battle of the giants, PepsiCo has stolen a march on Coca-Cola over the last year or so and its performance in the first half of the current fiscal year suggests it is still has the upper hand. ...
A recent report on the UK soft drinks market showed that growth in non-carbonates at the expense of traditional carbonated soft drinks is much less marked in the on-premise sector than in the take-hom...
A departing PepsiCo executive is to be handed a US$4.56m package spread over the next two years for his consultancy services....
The Pepsi Bottling Group has signed a letter of intent to acquire Pepsi-Cola Bottling Company of Charlotte (Pepsi Charlotte) for an undisclosed sum....
The Pepsi Bottling Group today reported second quarter net income of US$148m, or diluted earnings per share (EPS) of $0.59. The results were up on the same period last year as the company grew volumes...
Pepsi-Co. has been removed from a Syrian blacklist of companies which have dealings with Israel, according to a report in the official Syrian newspaper al-Thawra....
Pepsi has launched a new 50cl silver-coloured bottle for its Pepsi light soft drink as part of a major advertising campaign to roll out this summer in Spain....
PepsiCo's president and CFO, Indra Nooyi, has been forced to apologise for remarks she made whilst speaking to the 2005 graduating class of Columbia University's Business School in New York City last ...
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Diageo Africa president O'Keeffe on beer & spirits
- Travel Retail needs a disruptor - Comment
- What the future looks like for Australian wine
- Diageo ready to lock horns with AB InBev in Africa
- Heineken sees Tesco pull SKUs in UK
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Fever-Tree eyes bumper NPD, pack formats for 2017
- Heineken mulls M&A with $1.75bn notes issue
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research