US: Reed's Q1 net losses widen
- Q1 net losses widen by 33.7% to US$365,000
- Modified EBITDA drops by 82.4% to $30,000
- Net sales increase by 28% to $5.1m
- Net losses due to rising costs and an increase in promotional activity
Reed's sees its net losses widen in the first quarter
Reed's has reported deeper net losses in the first quarter of 2011, despite a jump in drinks sales.
For the three months to the end of March, the company reported a 33.7% increase in net losses to US$365,000. EBITDA dropped by 82.4% to $30,000, Reed's said yesterday (16 May).
However, net sales in the period climbed by 28% on the first quarter of 2010, to $5.1m.
Reed's blamed the losses in the quarter on “three factors of roughly equal impact”.
"First, our ingredient and packaging costs have increased during the past few quarters, a challenge impacting our entire industry,” said Reed's CFO, James Linesch. “Second, our promotions are up from the prior year as a percentage of sales, which is a deduction from revenues. Third, our plant utilisation was off, causing more fixed costs that were not allocated to product costs.”
Based on changes in all three areas, Linesch said the company is seeing “margin improvements” that it anticipates will continue for the remainder of the year.
Click here to view the earnings release.
- Is Diageo on the Brink of a Brain Drain?
- Focus - Pernod's YTD Performance by Region
- Comment - Will We Understand the Language of Rum?
- Focus - Heineken's Q1 Performance by Region
- just The Preview - Pernod Ricard's Q3 & YTD
- Pernod Ricard unveils Havana Club ad campaign
- CFO of Diageo's United Spirits stands down
- Global Tequila market hits new highs in 2014
- Pernod Ricard sees YTD recover as sales increase
- Remy Cointreau US head to step down
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Bacardi Limited - Strategy and SWOT Report
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets